MoD admits loss of secret files

peter99co 19:57 18 Jul 2008

Don't worry it's only the Defence Ministry

click here

MoD insisted its policies were "generally fit for purpose".

jack 20:25 18 Jul 2008

Portable devices in their work - no matter what form it is- some will get lost or stolen.
I was amazed at the number of laptop computers there are at large in the MOD- is this not technology gone mad?
What do think FE?

GANDALF <|:-)> 20:27 18 Jul 2008

This would appear to be par for the course from numpties who believe that they can 'win hearts and minds'.

G

peter99co 20:36 18 Jul 2008

Since the Burton report in June 2008 the MoD has recalled 20,000 non-encrypted laptops and are now encrypting them.

So far half have been through the process. About 2,000 are unable to be encrypted so have been taken out of service.

Jack, Does seem rather a lot out there.

john bunyan 20:59 18 Jul 2008

I cant understand why more people are not prosecuted under the Official Secrets Act for loss of secret documents or computers with unencripted stuff.. In my day Top Secret docs were "By hand of officer" and each copy was numbered eg Page 1 0f 10 pages , copy No x. Also very sensitive stuff was sent by one time pads that were virtually uncrackable if a bit slow. Surely GCHQ can issue encripting guidelines so this stuff cannot be decripted?

bluto1 21:56 18 Jul 2008

You are absolutely right. Each and every individual who lost a device with classified information on it should be charged with offences covered by the Official Secrets Act.
The individuals who allowed unencrypted, classified information to be loaded on any laptop should be charged with dereliction of duty because it's that person's duty to protect that information.
What is happening to the country?

Forum Editor 22:44 18 Jul 2008

In all, over a quarter of a million people are employed by the MOD, and in that context 20,000 laptops isn't an excessive figure.

What really astonished me is that nobody at a very high level seems to have worked out that in a Ministry which deals with more highly confidential information than any other, every laptop should have encryption technology installed. It would be something that I would insist on in my very first week in my new job as Secretary of State for defence, and yet it seems they have bungled along for years without it.

It's incompetence on a grand scale, and there can be no acceptable excuses for it.

Chegs ®™ 06:40 19 Jul 2008

347 laptops were stolen between 2004 and 2007.

That were reported stolen,but I bet theres another chunk of the 650 were "comandeered" for son/daughters homework.

Bingalau 07:28 19 Jul 2008

I assume that most of these people working for the MOD are civilians. (If our FE's figures are correct).

I would also suggest that Chegs' gamble is a winner.

It's a pity that Gandalf's numpties are the poor sods at the sharp end who have to try to win the hearts and minds.

Forum Editor 07:49 19 Jul 2008

The MOD defines its civilian staff as all civilians for whom the Secretary of State is accountable, and who have a close and long term association with the Ministry of Defence.

Using that definition there are around 109,000 civilians employed in the MOD.

jack 08:19 19 Jul 2008

Without trying to delve into facts and figures pf the deployment of the people in the MOD ,it take not a huge piece of brain power to assume the vast majority have tasks that do not involve the use of portable electronic device or any other form of computing surely-a large percentage of the workers are quite lowly non computing combatants

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Nokia 8 vs Galaxy S8

Best new design books 2017: From vintage infographics to the the psychology of type

iMac 21.5-inch (2017) review

Nokia 8 : design, caractéristiques techniques, date de sortie