Mobile Phones

ulrich 20:14 10 Aug 2006

I do not own a mobile phone, I am 59 and wonder why I see people shopping having to phone up to ask what they should buy, people at the checkouts talking(I find ignorant}. People driving cars, I saw a lady today looking down looking up as she dialled with a child in the back seat. As I go to work a 50yr old walking down the road telling his wife he has the Sun. A mobile I admit could be useful, but how many people can actually say I really do need it, honest people.

anskyber 20:25 10 Aug 2006

A lot of what we have is unnecessary, why do we need a PC, a car or the like. My mobile was just a useful extra means of contact for manty years....until there was a family emergency a long way from other telephones.

anskyber 20:26 10 Aug 2006

manty=many

Jackcoms 20:28 10 Aug 2006

You make a valid point. I would add my own observations:

"I see people shopping having to phone up to ask what they should buy, people at the checkouts talking (I find ignorant}". I agree with you entirely - ignorant and incapable of making a decision themselves.

"People driving cars, I saw a lady today looking down looking up as she dialled with a child in the back seat". Obviously she was brain dead AND breaking the law.

"As I go to work a 50yr old walking down the road telling his wife he has the Sun". Anyone who reads the Sun must also be brain dead (but, oddly enough, not breaking the law).

"A mobile I admit could be useful, but how many people can actually say I really do need it". No, you don't really need one. Why be at everyone's beck and call?

Ade_1 20:35 10 Aug 2006

Personally, I dont use my phone alot, the odd text now and again but I mainly have it just in case I need to contact someoen in an emergancy or if someone needs to get in touch with me in an emergancy.

However I do see what your saying as for some people it just isnt neccessary.

Personally though I prefer to have on just in case ,like i said, someone needs to contact me or I need to contact them (in an emergancy)

Jackcoms 20:41 10 Aug 2006

"if someone needs to get in touch with me in an emergancy"

So, if someone contacted you and it WASN'T an emergency, would you hang up on them?

Ade_1 21:03 10 Aug 2006

Well obviously not, that would just be rude. However if it was an unwanted call such as a call center or whatever then yes I would hang up on them.

v1asco 21:10 10 Aug 2006

I work on tankers around the UK coast. Since 9/11 we cannot go ashore at any refinery without a passport or valid photographic ID. This makes it difficult to call home, assuming there is a box on the jetty. I also spend days at sea but in phone range (up to 30 miles off the coast).

A mobile phone to me is a neccessity. It helps out in the occassional domestic crisis (washing machine floods etc), as well as being a comfort when I, or anyone else in my family, feels lonely.

I always try to use it in a considerate manner and fully agree with the comments about misuse. Although they do tend to bring out our eccentricities. It has taken a while to persuade my Wife that she doesn't have to call me to say she is on here way home from work. I know when to expect her, but, as she pointed out, speaking to me after work like that relaxes her a bit.

My phone is also my music machine,address book, diary and birthday reminder. Add to that it is a photograph album and contains videos of my family it is in fact a useful tool.

Oh Yes, I have also used it to call emergency services on a few occassions.

SG Atlantis® 21:11 10 Aug 2006

I could do without my PC quicker than my mobile.

People use mobiles like that because they are so cheap, so why not? Obviously not driving or where ever it's prohibited to use them.

Mobiles are used for much more than calls and texts. I no longer use my mp3 player as my phone is a walkman and can play video. I can check email, browse and shop online on my mobile, reducing the need for me to go near a PC. Paypal have a mobile phone service now, you can sedn payments to phone numbers...

How many times have ya said "oh I wish I had a camera" when the kids do something cute or something unexpected happens? I bet quite a few. People can share moments much more easily, rather than send a postcard you can send a picture/video message.

People have been saved, from accidents, by having a mobile phone with them, and mine can even flash SOS from the LEDs on the camera part.

Almost all of the population have a mobile and those that have embraced this technology wouldn't be without it.

Sir Radfordin 21:24 10 Aug 2006

I don't have a mobile because I need one but because I want one. It does something, is a way to communicate and is something I choose to spend money on.

You can apply your kind of logic to any number of things from cars to central heating to chocolate to email. There is a vast difference between what we need and what we want but that isn't always a reason not to have the things we want.

Any one of us could live without a mobile - we've done it before - but why? What would it acheive?

Of course this isn't to say there is an etiquete to using it - but then there is with other things and on the whole people follow it.

I don't need it - but why get rid of it?

PurplePenny 21:54 10 Aug 2006

I got my mobile back when hardly anyone had one. I wouldn't give it up. I *do* need it: it has improved my life vastly.

Why? I suffer from a form of agoraphobia: I can go out on my own (usually) provided I know exactly where I'm going, when and how. If I'm meeting someone and they are even a few minutes late I can start to panic. If I'm separated from someone in a shop or a crowd I panic. If I'm waiting for a bus and it doesn't turn up for more than 10 minutes I panic. I'm not talking about being worried or annoyed: I'm talking about heart rate going up, breathing getting faster, legs getting weak, almost in tears: panic.

Now when the person is late or I get separated I can phone and find out where they are. If I'm at a bus stop and there is no bus I can phone the bus company and find out what has happened to it and when it might turn up (back when I was the only one in the queue with a phone this one also made me very popular with all the other people stuck waiting for a seemingly non-existent bus).

I *don't* need my television, or my video, CD and DVD players but I'd get pretty upset if anyone tried to take those away.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?