Mobile Phone Directory.

Blackhat 17:50 09 Jun 2009

How do you feel about this subject?

click here

Up to 15m mobile numbers on the batabase, some from filling in company forms.

I have 1 mobile phone, it is my company phone and I never allow the number out unless I am giving it myself. I never use it when filling in forms, they always get my land line that blocks call who withold their number (cuts out most sales/call centre call).

If I am not in the office and not at home I dont want to know, only family, friends and important business contacts have my mobile number

OTT_Buzzard 18:05 09 Jun 2009

Aside from the use of data that's been passed from comapny to company without the owners knowledge, i've got no issue with it. But as with most system, I'd prefer it to be opt-in rather than opt-out. That probably wouldn't work for their business model though!!

Charence 19:09 09 Jun 2009

Does anyone apart from telesales actually use phone directories? I don't see the point of this, only disadvantages...

laurie53 19:58 09 Jun 2009

It appears they don't intend to give out numbers, just send a text giving you the number of the person who's trying to contact you.

I don't have a particular problem with that, I never read texts anyway!

Forum Editor 22:53 09 Jun 2009

on the new service. Just text the letter E to 118800 from the mobile number which you wish to be made ex-directory. It may take up to four weeks for your number to be de-listed. Alternatively you can request ex-directory status by calling 0800 138 6263.

You'll be in good company, I imagine lots of people will want to have their mobile numbers made ex-directory. I'm going to be at the head of the queue; I can think of nothing worse than being bombarded with text messages telling me that people want my number. If I want someone to contact me I'll give them the number myself.

canarieslover 16:01 10 Jun 2009

Does it have a 'whereisit' function so that I can check whether or not my builder is where he says he is? Now that would be worth having available.

peter99co 16:40 10 Jun 2009

Page last updated at 07:41 GMT, Wednesday, 10 June 2009 08:41 UK
E-mail this to a friend Printable version

Missed something?
Find contact details, websites and dates for items featured on Breakfast - this page is updated Monday to Friday before and after the programme.

Our information line is open from 7.30am to midnight daily. The number has now changed: 03700 100 125 (This is a new UK WIDE number and costs no more than calls to 01/02 geographic numbers, although calls from mobiles will vary according to your provider)

June 2009
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external websites

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wednesday 10 June

• How to opt out!

If you do not want to become part of the new Mobile Phone Directory then simply text or call them to opt out of their service.
click here

You can become ex-directory by texting the letter 'E' to 118800 from your mobile phone or you can call on 0800 138 6263. Standard network charges apply. The first time 118 800 contacts you you will be sent an SMS reminding you about how to become ex-directory. Please allow up to 4 weeks for your ex-directory request to take effect. For more information on the Mobile Phone Directory please visit click here .

NB. The telephone number is currently experiencing high volumes of calls and it may be worth phoning back tomorrow

peter99co 16:42 10 Jun 2009

Sorry for all that. The click did not work properly!

peter99co 16:44 10 Jun 2009

The FE had also given a good post above as I now see :-(

Clapton is God 08:48 19 Jun 2009

It seems that the online version is now live at click here so I searched for my details and that of my daughters (with a view to making us ex-directory).

Having put all of our details in the 'detailed search' box, it came back every time with "error - page not available at this time".

They've obviously got it working, then (not).

Quickbeam 09:16 19 Jun 2009

My mobile is my very personal 24/7 communicator. I only give the number to people I want to ring me. I don't answer any unrecognised callers.

I take a dim view of any directory that thinks I'm game for cold callers flogging new guttering or double glazing while I'm at a BBQ!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?