Mlitary putting all eggs in one basket

Seth Haniel 13:43 01 Jul 2008

click here

Military closure plans outlined

The MoD says it wants to focus on large-scale "defence communities"
Plans to shut down 46 British military bases have been released by the Ministry of Defence.

The Defence Estate Development Plan sets out the disposal of sites previously earmarked as "surplus to defence requirements".

Defence Minister Bob Ainsworth said he wanted to see fewer but larger sites - on the scale of Catterick, Aldershot and Plymouth - in the UK and overseas.

But he told MPs that the future of many other bases was "not fully assured".

Cymro. 14:50 01 Jul 2008

You title your thread as "military putting all it`s eggs in one basket" but I see it as putting it`s eggs in fewer but larger baskets.

It is rather the way of the world these days and the armed forces can`t be excluded from what they would call economy of scale.

There are people who would complain quick enough if a government was wasting the taxpayer money, well here is an example of a government trying to save a bit of taxpayers money.

day2strike 15:03 01 Jul 2008

This has happened before with the military off loading pats of it's estates.
Most sold for housing & business, the largest in the last decade being RAF Greenham Common.

But some older airfields stay open like RAF Kenley in Surrey, now only used for Glider training but who's main building were also sold off about 10 years ago.
Kenley was a former Battle of Britain Aredrome.

Seth Haniel 15:29 01 Jul 2008

One big target instead of aload of small ones ;(

Cymro. 15:38 01 Jul 2008

"One big target instead of a load of small ones"

I see what you are getting at now.
What I need to know now is who is this enemy who wishes to attack us?
Terrorists would do well to manage an attack on one site, and I can`t think of a country who has the capability and the wish to launch a large scale attack on us.

Bingalau 16:05 01 Jul 2008

Cymro. Neither could that nice Mr Chamberlain in 1938/9

sunny staines 16:09 01 Jul 2008

the RAF & RN will be disbanded next and merged into the Army and be known simply as the Armed Forces of GB.

Similar to Canada where I think they are called CAF Canadian Armed Forces.

sunny staines 16:11 01 Jul 2008

Where would we be now if the Argies invaded the Falklands I think we would abandon them as we no longer have the equipment or resources anymore.

Cymro. 16:15 01 Jul 2008

There used to be six military bases within an hours drive of where I live. There is now only the one and I don`t feel any more threatened than I did when there was six. Quantity does not automatically lead to quality.

Cymro. 16:22 01 Jul 2008

"Where would we be now if the Argies invaded the Falklands I think we would abandon them as we no longer have the equipment or resources anymore"

O! yes, yes, yes.
Not everyone thinks the islands were British in the first place. As for where would we be now? a whole lot better off I would say.

Cymro. 16:26 01 Jul 2008

I thought that the days of Colonel Blimp and his empire on which the sun never set had long since gone.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Converse's new logo: the trainer brand looks to its heritage for a fresh identity

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment lancer Windows 10 en mode sans ├ęchec ?