On a Mission With 007

laurie53 09:40 21 Jun 2008

I won’t be posting much over the next few days – I’ve just taken delivery of a complete boxed set of the Bond novels.

For anyone who knows of Bond only through the comic book travesties seen on screen, try to read at least one of the books before you die, it doesn’t matter which one as long as it’s a genuine Fleming.

You will find a very credible and human British agent rather than the ridiculous fantasy caricature portrayed by Hollywood.

Forum Editor 09:41 21 Jun 2008

there were no Bond films - we all read the books.

Cymro. 10:24 21 Jun 2008

The films are just escapist nonsense but for their kind rather well made and for a mass market. I read the books many years ago and have always found the films very disappointing. They seemed to get even worse and more ridiculous as the series went on.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 11:37 21 Jun 2008

Your showing your age :0)

First bond book written 1953 and first film Dr No 1962.

laurie53

Yes the 12 novels and 2 short story collections are much better than the films.
if you enjoy them try reading The Saint books by Leslie Charteris the TV series was poor in comparison and the films even worse.

peter99co 12:13 21 Jun 2008

Are you at liberty to divulge the source of your collection or is it a secret?

the hick 12:27 21 Jun 2008

For a book on spying based on fact, I recall that 'A Man Called Intrepid' was intriguing. Cant find it right now to include the author's name. Must be on the web somewhere.

laurie53 13:06 21 Jun 2008

Good old E-bay!

peter99co 13:11 21 Jun 2008

I will have to find my set of paperbacks. All a bit tatty now but well enjoyed at the time of purchase.

I even bought The Book Of Bond but it is gathering dust somewhere, I will have to call Cash in the Attic

Brumas 13:50 21 Jun 2008

Ah, good old Claude Eustace Teal the much maligned Chief Inspector that the Saint was always running rings around - fond memories of books well written and innocent times.

peter99co 18:35 21 Jun 2008

Another book I have is John Gardner's Licence Renewed Published 1981

interzone55 20:11 21 Jun 2008

Anyone else read the new Sebastian Faulkes Bond novel?

I thoroughly enjoyed it as it's written very much in the style of Fleming.

I also enjoy Charlie Higson's Young Bond series, they're aimed at kids, but I like them.

I got a full set of the Fleming bond novels on CD for Christmas, they're slightly abridged, but nothing serious is missing. They accompanied me to work & back during January.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

50 best online Adobe XD tutorials

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?