Ministers drop plans for 10% increase in cider tax

peter99co 16:26 07 Apr 2010

click here

A broadband tax and an electoral reform referendum have also been dropped.

The Tories and Lib Dems welcomed the cider move but Labour say it will be re-introduced if they are re-elected.

Labour has said all the tax measures will be re-introduced should Labour be re-elected.

sunnystaines 16:33 07 Apr 2010

lost his bottle

wee eddie 17:37 07 Apr 2010

should be Taxed at exactly the same rate as Beer.

morddwyd 20:33 07 Apr 2010

Come on, people, think.

Who are the most likely to drink cider?

And which party wants the voting age lowered to 16?

Cynical? Me?

Quickbeam 08:16 08 Apr 2010

"Labour say it will be re-introduced if they are re-elected."
So, they have no intention of caring a thought for the many cider swilling tramps of this nation. They may find those votes could have the power of the last straw in bringing about their demise....

sunnystaines 08:26 08 Apr 2010

cider,perry,wine,beers should all have the same tax.

the vote of 16 year olds voting is a worry only a small percent of them will understand politics.

Quickbeam 08:36 08 Apr 2010

I understood and cared more for things political at 16 than I do now at 53 having lost faith.

Sixteen yearold's have the belief that they can change something for the better. Sixty year olds are too long in the tooth to be taken in by it all. So there's a better argument for only allowing sixteen to thirty somethings the vote;)

donki 09:56 08 Apr 2010

Im 28 and luv my cider, not the 3 litre bottles of vinegar however. More keen on Bulmers and from my experience it is more exspensive than beer.

If the cider tax is supposed to reduce underage drinking it is going to fail miserably. Why would adding 20p onto a bottle make anyone think twice? Sure they get paid for going to school these days. I hate the governments way of dealing with problems, taxing things seems to be the only thing they know how to do.

jakimo 11:54 08 Apr 2010

"I understood and cared more for things political at 16 than I do now at 53 having lost faith"

Theres always the exception to the rule I suppose,but many 16 year olds don't know the meaning of the word,preferring to have no other interest in life than bombarding their brain with loud music

jakimo 11:56 08 Apr 2010

I forgot to add, drinking cheap cider

Quickbeam 11:59 08 Apr 2010

Oh, I did all that too, I still do, it's just the politics that's got lost along the way...

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?