Mini USB cables

Quickbeam 08:13 04 Jan 2010

Every time I get a new gadget, it comes with a USB to mini USB cable, and the instructions say to only use the supplied cable, so I have. Is there any harm to be done by using say, the Panasonic camera cable for the Sony reader? The only obvious difference is in the hard barrel shaped fitting.

[email protected] 10:21 04 Jan 2010

Perhaps I've been lucky but I always use the first one that comes to hand. Never had a problem so I would say there is no difference. (manufacturers may say otherwise of course - thinking of overpriced gold-plated cables !!)

canarieslover 10:28 04 Jan 2010

I also have accumulated several and just grab the first one to hand. Never yet had a problem.

johndrew 10:32 04 Jan 2010

I agree with oldal1 and canarieslover; and cable should be fine.

The "hard barrel shaped fitting" is, I think, a choke which smooths out spikes or prevents interference.

Quickbeam 12:35 04 Jan 2010

I thought that might be the case, I asked as I now have 6 regularly used gadgets with tape markers on them for ID.

ton 16:14 04 Jan 2010

I have several. Have always found that 'if it fits, then it works ok'.

morddwyd 16:27 04 Jan 2010

Funnily enough, I have found a Panasonic camera lead will not do for a Sony reader, nor will any sort of usb adapter.

It has to be the Sony lead, and it has to be plugged into a PC usb socket, and a motherboard socket at that, a hub just doesn't work.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

Photoshop CC 2018 released with new Curvature Pen and better brush tools

Camera tips to take better iPhone photos

Les meilleures applications de covoiturage 2017