Midsummer Nightmare?

realist 10:40 06 Jul 2008

It's a surreal experience, one evening to watch a superb teenage production of A Midsummer Night's Dream at my grandson's community college, and the following morning to read in The Observer that teachers are seeking to equip themselves with anti-stab vests.

Last week, for the first time in ages, I happened to see a police presence (on foot) in our locality. However, it was in the form of two male police officers. If it is necessary for the police to go round in pairs, then just how safe is it on the street for everyone else?

Cymro. 11:02 06 Jul 2008

"If it is necessary for the police to go round in pairs, then just how safe is it on the street for everyone else?"

When I was young if an area was thought of as being rather dangerous for people to walk about in then it was said that the policemen always walked about in pairs.

Personally I doubt if the street are in fact as dangerous as are made out to be. Obviously there have always some parts of any large city in any country where you would be very foolish to venture alone in to late at night. But common-sense would tell you to stay out of such places at night. The danger in our streets is much more a case of how dangerous people perceive it to be rather than how dangerous they actually are.

Cymro. 11:06 06 Jul 2008

Has anyone the time and know how to look up the crime figures for street attacks. If someone has then I think you will find that things are not as dangerous as many think.

johndrew 11:09 06 Jul 2008

When a certain Government Minister goes out in her constituency she wears a stab proof vest and has several Police Officers with her similarly dressed. Additionally school uniforms containing Kevlar have been advertised for sale. Perhaps this indicates that we should all be going around in groups, dressed in body armour and on our guard at all times.

The problem is that such clothing will play havoc with the washing machine and ruin your street cred ;-)

Forum Editor 11:11 06 Jul 2008

and sometimes at night. I can't say that I feel particularly vulnerable, but then I suppose I could be deluding myself.

In my experience, if you want to stay out of trouble you usually can.

Chegs ®™ 13:33 06 Jul 2008

I am beginning to wonder.Are the streets unsafe to wander alone in a night as the media would have us believe,or is it the streets are only unsafe to wander around in at night if your wearing an ITN/BBC vest?

I was amazed to hear a scots youth say "It isn't sore to be stabbed" on Dispatches,despite being shown just exactly how "sore" several corpses had become.

Then earlier this week,the home secretary is shown saying "knife crime is no different now to what it was years ago" In spite of her words,there's been 17(?) stabbed to death this year.

sunny staines 13:36 06 Jul 2008

not all but a lot are yob on yob stabbings between gangs.

peter99co 13:57 06 Jul 2008

The home secretary is shown saying "knife crime is no different now to what it was years ago" In spite of her words,there's been 17(?) stabbed to death this year.

It is the Media's fault then for highlighting it.

If they stop reporting it it will not appear to be such a problem.

Why is it then they are treating it more seriously than Terrorism

Mr Mistoffelees 14:09 06 Jul 2008

" Additionally school uniforms containing Kevlar have been advertised for sale. Perhaps this indicates that we should all be going around in groups, dressed in body armour and on our guard at all times."

I think that means the company concerned are using people's fears, whipped up by the media and, no doubt, thier own advertising, to create a fat new revenue stream.

spuds 17:00 06 Jul 2008

On a regular basis I see two female PCSO's 'casually' walking together near my home. The other day I stopped them and asked the reasons why they were paired up. (Wouldn't have been heard of years ago in the police force) Answer: Because its classed as a dangerous area.

You could have fooled me. The last time anyone had a bottle of milk pinched off the doorstep, was years ago. And we still think it was the blue tits or the neighbours lip licking cat.

laurie53 20:47 06 Jul 2008

"The home secretary is shown saying "knife crime is no different now to what it was years ago" In spite of her words,there's been 17(?) stabbed to death this year."

I'm ashamed to admit I carried a knife in the fifties.

The difference is that we weren't so ready to use it as today's youngsters.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?