Midge bites!!!!!

Brumas 23:17 29 Jul 2009

I must resort to using that most hackneyed phrase ‘In this modern day and age’ because I cannot, for the life of me, understand why hasn’t there been a solution found for a midge repellent that actually works!!!

I am pretty sure all insects, with a propensity for biting, view me as the mother lode when it comes to selecting a victim to dine upon. In fact I am pretty sure they all fly around with knives and forks waiting for me to make an entrance - Quick here comes Brumas fetch your mates! But joking aside their bites leave me in acute discomfort as I seem to have an allergic reaction to them and, when they bite in areas liable to chafing I am in ‘agony’. Neck, groin, armpits, shoulders - you name it, they've had a picnic there.

Yes, I know there are lots of people living with far more serious complaints then this and I am probably being a bit of a ‘big girl’s blanket’ about it, but enough is enough - two fresh bites today and I have just used the latest in a long line of ‘this will work’ remedies!!

I have tried vitamin B-complex tablets which made me feel nauseous and I lived in the loo, I have tried various spray-ons but all to no avail. The latest is ‘Avon Skin so soft body oil’ (I told you I was desperate but fortunately it doesn’t make me smell like a pox-doctor’s clerk) and it doesn’t seem to be the answer.

Anyone out there with a similar problem who has a solution that works, please let me know before I resist the temptation to scratch my itch - thank heavens for Eurax cream!

One final rant before I finish, Fran, my wife is never bitten and when I explained to her that they preferred ‘Fresh meat to rotten flesh’ she hit me a light tap with her walking stick right on top of , you've guessed it, my latest bite :o((

Forum Editor 23:30 29 Jul 2009

you might want to invest in a midge killing machine. There are lots on the market, and some of them have eye-watering prices, but you can get one that will cover the area of a reasonable sized garden for under £80.

click here

Woolwell 23:32 29 Jul 2009

I find that my son is the best solution for me. They bite him and not me when we are out together.
Seriously - citronella is supposed to be good but I am not sure anything repels a Scottish midge.

Brumas 23:39 29 Jul 2009

The trouble is, I even get bitten in the house and often wake in the morning with a fresh bite,this is presumably as we always have the bedroom window open.
Having said that we do have a large hanging electronic insect 'zapper' permanently on in the study where the computer is.

Forum Editor 23:40 29 Jul 2009

this might be worth a try:

click here

Brumas 23:42 29 Jul 2009

The midges here thought citronella was a basting sauce, to make me taste more appetising, the last time I tried it ;o)

Brumas 23:46 29 Jul 2009

I have tried something similar purchased from a shop somewhere near Loch Lomond (I never ventured to the water's edge for the clouds of the little beggars), but yet again it failed to work, but thanks for the tip.

sconedd 23:50 29 Jul 2009

Hi Brumas have you tried Tea Tree oil, a little goes along way, it can be pricey. It will also ease the bites affect, but it will sting a bit when first applied. Hope this helps. Sconedd

OTT_Buzzard 00:22 30 Jul 2009

Midges bite? Am i thinking of the right pesky lttle creature? The tiny little black things a millimeter or so long that land on me and annoy the bejesus out of me?

Never realised they bit.

sunnystaines 08:18 30 Jul 2009

I have seen on camping forums that avon skin so soft oil keeps them away.

surprised the scots do not have an extended spraying program to get rid of them to get more visitors to the highlands.

laurie53 08:23 30 Jul 2009

"surprised the scots do not have an extended spraying program to get rid of them"

I don't know the detailed ecology of the Scottish midge, but if, as I suspect, salmon feed on them, or they have some importance in the life of grouse, then we are far more likely to spray against visitors than midges!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?