Microsoft's tougher stance on software piracy

CurlyWhirly 17:41 27 Jan 2005

click here

I think that this is a good idea as I begrudge that I have *paid* for my copy of XP, while other people (software pirates mainly) get it for nothing.
Also with pirate copies, you never know if there is some malware secretly installed or whether the source code has been altered!

At least buying *legal* copies, you are sure that the software hasn't been fiddled with!
What do other people think of this new 'tougher' stance by the software giant?

carolineann 18:21 27 Jan 2005

Have to agree with you on this one Curly.

CurlyWhirly 18:25 27 Jan 2005

Thanks.

Curio 18:27 27 Jan 2005

If there was no piracy, prices of OS would come down - I hope!

CurlyWhirly 18:33 27 Jan 2005

Yes, it would be nice to see the price of Windows come down a bit!

I just thought to myself, HOW can Microsoft distinguish between LEGAL and ILLEGAL 'product keys' as worldwide there must be 100's of MILLIONS of Windows users?
The database must be enormous.

NIGEY 19:39 27 Jan 2005

here here, its about time we got tough with these pirates,make an example of them and let them know piracy will not be tolerated,im sure there is a national number you can call to report it isnt there? if not then there should well be.i mean pirate dvd's are everywhere but i always buy the legit copy,i for one can't stand watchin a movie and halfway through some guy gets up to go to the loo or buy some extra large bucket of toffee popcorn and a giant bag of revels!

JonnyTub 20:58 27 Jan 2005

I couldn't agree more with microsoft's stance on this, however if feel that it's a kind of useless idea in some ways. Fair enough a pirated copy user won't be able to do a direct download, but what's to stop them from downloading the updating via the kb number on a "verified" pc and saving it to disk, then copying to a pirated version of xp. I can't help but feel that p2p programmes may become a market place for xp updates, if it isn't already so.

A better idea would be to add a tiny code to all downloaded updates which verifies the legality of the os and then removes itself from the pc so as to not take up disk space, after verification.

Or have i missed the point ? Do microsoft already apply something like this ???

it'd be nice to know for sure

Also how long do you think it'll be before the one eyed, parrot on the shouldered, peg leg's manage to get round it ??

Cheers Curly, good article.

Jeffers22 23:27 27 Jan 2005

"A better idea would be to add a tiny code to all downloaded updates which verifies the legality of the os and then removes itself from the pc so as to not take up disk space, after verification.

Or have i missed the point ? Do microsoft already apply something like this ???"

They did with XP Service Pack one and also to my knowledge with one of the Service Packs for Office 2000. The message, if I remember correctly, was "invalid key number" and the update refused to install. It was targeted at a few well circulated key numbers. With XP the key number started FCKGW which was one of the early ones nicked direct from Microsoft at Redmond.

JonnyTub 23:30 27 Jan 2005

Ahh, so why did they stop if it worked ?

ACOLYTE 00:31 28 Jan 2005

Didn't they do this with the MS spy ware download? i know i had to download a verification active x
before i downloaded the MS spy ware,but i found out after that you didn't have to bother with the verification to download it,so why put it on there in the first place.

ventanas 08:46 28 Jan 2005

Most of the time Microsoft will know whether an OEM version of Windows is installed to the correct machine. More than once, when discs have become mixed up, I have telephoned them with the product key and they have been able to tell me exactly which make and model of machine the particular disc applied to. I think this may be because the major vendors possibly pre-register.

I just hope it works, as others have said here, if everyone paid the proper price for their software prices may come down. A starting point would be a complete clampdown on misuse of OEM versions. It shouldn't be that dificult.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?