Merci Jaques, Je suis bon.

Grey Goo 09:44 23 Sep 2008

As we are all now Europeans the Flavour of "I'm all right Jack" now has a tinge of Garlic or is that Gallic. Anyway I was wondering what the collective thoughts were about certain statements made by Union Chiefs at the annual Labour Party jolly.

Particularly the demand to renationalise the Utility Companies for one and the call to "Tax out of existance" the City Slickers if they do not forgo their bonus system.

newman35 10:15 23 Sep 2008

In a perfect world, both aspirations (re-nationalising and reform of bonuses) have a lot to commend them.
But reality is that either or both would be virtually impossible to achieve.
Also, nationalised industries had a long history of inefficiency (and union dominance), so that any Government now would be very wary of.

GANDALF <|:-)> 11:15 23 Sep 2008

1) They cannot re-nationalise the utility companies as there is no money in the kitty.
2) The 'city slickers' were merely following a gormless financial policy that the Government supported and encouraged whole-heartedly.

Absolute guff and tripe from people that are clutching at straws and who seem to be on the opposite side of the retarded fence or whose home is planet Mungo.

G

Cymro. 11:42 23 Sep 2008

The gap between the rich and the poor has always been too big and they tell me it is getting even bigger. But just as there are deserving and undeserving poor there are also deserving and undeserving rich.

It seems to me that most people think the supper rich city slickers and their high bonuses are some of the undeserving rich. If that is the case then by all means tax them out of existence.

But remember it is often just a matter of opinion as to who deserves such high rewards for their labour. If you go after the city slickers then who next, professional footballers, showbusiness characters etc. etc.?

newman35 11:44 23 Sep 2008

"Absolute guff and tripe from people that are clutching at straws and who seem to be on the opposite side of the retarded fence or whose home is planet Mungo."

So, a bit undecided on this matter, then. (;))

Cymro. 11:47 23 Sep 2008

I can`t see any UK government nationalising any major industry in the foreseeable future. Not while we all remember how the nationalised industries were run in the past.

I have nothing in principle against nationalising certain industries, it is just that I don`t think they will be run efficiently.

newman35 11:49 23 Sep 2008

"If you go after the city slickers then who next, professional footballers, showbusiness characters etc. etc.?"

Yes, this is part of the problem, and one reason I said it would be impossible to achieve - unless a return to a 95% tax bracket above certain levels of income, with all the implications that would have.

DrScott 12:21 23 Sep 2008

is nationalised and look what an inefficeent black hole that is.

Taxing high earners out of existance merely forces them to live elsewhere. More importantly it forces them to bring revenue and economic growth elsewhere.

If you want to entirely destroy the British economy, then by all means get rid of the 'city slickers'.

What is perhaps correct, though, is limiting bonuses for people who gamble with credit, so as to discourage this pratice that leads to a volatile and uncertain market.

newman35 15:39 23 Sep 2008

"The NHS
is nationalised and look what an inefficeent black hole that is."

- and it would be better totally privatised?
Possibly for those able to afford to keep the new owners in the style to which they would become accustomed.

Weskit 18:39 23 Sep 2008

Surely the problem is that all the privatised utilities have been sold abroad?

peter99co 19:26 23 Sep 2008

The Nucleor Power stations are still up for grabs I think.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Android Oreo News: Release Date & New Features

Best Photo Editing Software for iPad

iMac 21.5-inch (2017) review

Comparatif : quelle est la meilleure batterie externe 2017 ?