Medals, Army records & family history brick walls

Spark6 23:57 14 Sep 2009

My late father received two World War 2 medals, inscribed with his name, rank and number, together with the Welsh Regiment he served with. With this information I have, to date, been unable to find any Army record of him.
Recently, through a relative, a photograph has been given to me of him, with 14 other soldiers, in Kingston, Jamaica. He, and 7 of the other soldiers have medal ribbons on their tunics.
According to the Curator of The Regimental Museum of The Royal Welsh the Welsh Regiment never served in Jamaica. Apparently WW1 medals were not issued until 1921/22 which tends to date the photograph.
Knowing that we have a number of ex- servicemen/women, together with family history buffs, contributing to this forum, I hope this will kickstart my search.

Bingalau 00:06 15 Sep 2009

Which war are we talking about? I'm a little confused whether it is WW2 or WW1 you are talking about. It also may be that there were more than one Welsh regiment in those days. In fact I am pretty sure there were. So have you got the correct one? Maybe if you can show the photo on here some of the ex-army bods can help you especially if there is a sight of the cap badges, or shoulder flashes.

spuds 01:23 15 Sep 2009

Have you thought about contacting the Jamaican Embassy here in the UK, and see if they have the answer!.

British forces have served throughout the Caribbean, at one time and another.

morddwyd 08:41 15 Sep 2009

If he was in the "Welsh" regiment it was actually the "Welch".

This might make a difference to your searches.

Spark6 09:13 15 Sep 2009

1914-1918 war, the first, is the one I'm referring to, my apologies for not checking before posting.
The medal clearly has his army number, his rank and name, together with WELSH R.
Many thanks for the responses so far. One of the many problems I face is the fact that a number of the 1914/18 records were destroyed during the London blitz in WW2.

WhiteTruckMan 09:16 15 Sep 2009

the previous advice, try a trip to your local army recruiting office, taking along medals, pictures and whatever else you may have. You might get someone curious enough to help dig some details.

WTM

Spark6 09:31 15 Sep 2009

My eldest son, ex regular, is having a 'dig' for me. As an ex Merchant Navy oldie I wouldn't know where to start down that road.

dagbladet 10:02 15 Sep 2009

Spark6

Try here. National archives WW1 service search.

click here

Newuser38 10:13 15 Sep 2009

Dont know if this is any help might give another lead. click here. It does list some histories of The Welch regiment including 1914-1918.
The official First World War diaries are downloadable from click here and might give some information.

I understand as you say that up to 60% of those who served cannot be traced because their national records were destroyed by 2nd War bombing.

Will have a further think and post again if I can give any more clues.

spuds 14:40 15 Sep 2009

Another checkpoint might be the British Legion!.

Spark6 15:22 15 Sep 2009

No joy on Ancestry.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?