Mark Rothko

Si_L 21:04 24 Sep 2008

There is a feature on the BBC site about an upcoming exhibition to display some of his later work. His paintings fetch millions, this one: click here sold for $72.8 million.

I think that is a terrible painting, it looks like something a child would paint, and disappointingly the rest of his work is the same. click here for the BBC story and to see some of his work.

Am I missing something important here? How is it that this 'art' is not simply dismissed as utter rubbish?

Si_L 21:45 24 Sep 2008

I respect that they may have a different effect on the viewer when you look at the actual paintings, but seriously, they are just a few rectangles of colour on a coloured background. Any muppet could do this, and I can't get my head around why the hell people even bother to look twice at it. Please don't tell me there is meaning to these paintings.

Covergirl 21:59 24 Sep 2008

. . . . we've all been transported to 1st April 2009 where, at around 12 noon, we'll be told that we've just been had by another elaborate BBC scam . . . .

lotvic 22:07 24 Sep 2008

I can paint like that - where/how can I con people into buying my pics? (apart from ebay)

interzone55 22:16 24 Sep 2008

With a lot of "modern" art it's not the actual work, but the concept that is important.

Yes, you may be able to paint just like that, but unfortunately you didn't get there first.

Then again, there's also the emperor's new clothes aspect. people who feel they should be "in the know" are afraid to admit that they aren't, so they just go along with the flow...

Forum Editor 23:45 24 Sep 2008

If any muppet could, there would be lots of muppets whose work commands these prices, but it isn't quite like that.

Works like these aren't my personal cup of tea at all, and I certainly wouldn't pay that kind of money for it, even if I had it, but....

When you see the paintings in the flesh, as it were, there is something about them, as fourm member says, and I wouldn't dismiss them as meaningless daubs.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Nokia 8 vs Galaxy S8

Best new design books 2017: From vintage infographics to the the psychology of type

iMac 21.5-inch (2017) review

Nokia 8 : design, caractéristiques techniques, date de sortie