Manchester United

Bingalau 11:08 05 Feb 2008

I seem to remember that after the Munich air crash, there was a free and voluntary transfer of players from other football clubs to keep Manchester United going. Can anyone verify this or am I imagining it? I'm not a Manchester United supporter, but I hope sincerely that the fans of Manchester City can put aside their bitter feuding and behave themselves at their derby game.
Also afterwards I hope.

Earthsea 12:54 05 Feb 2008

Wikipedia doesn't mention it click here

This is quite interesting click here

Legolas 12:57 05 Feb 2008

I agree Bingalau. I think it is right to have a minutes silence and not a minutes applause to commerate the Munich Air disaster. Somehow I think the minutes applause is giving in to those who might spoil the minutes silence by calling out. I respect Man U for sticking to their original descision.

Bapou 13:29 05 Feb 2008

There was indeed some hasty transfer activity agreed with other clubs and Man United. Ernie Taylor joining from Blackpool was one I remember.

He and others recruited were by no means past their sell by date clubs would eagerly get rid of, they were star players. This led to some animosity among supporters of other clubs that Man.Utd were trying to ensure continuing success at their expense.

tullie 14:51 05 Feb 2008

A very sad day for Manchester,and Football.
Lets face it,a minutes applause was only introduced into fotball,because the morons couldent respect a minutes silence.

Bingalau 16:00 05 Feb 2008

Bapou. Yes I remember Ernie Taylor going and I am sure there were others too. It just surprises me that this seems to have been forgotten by the press. Making it look as if Manchester United recovered from it by themselves. There was a great deal of sympathy in the press for them at the time. Tales of woe if they were left to their own devices to survive in the first division etc. It's true that they would have gone down if they had not had the fresh blood from other clubs. I can't remember if any players went from Manchester City to them though. But wouldn't be surprised if they did.

babybell 09:17 06 Feb 2008

The minutes applause was not just brought in to cover up people shouting etc, the majority of silences were respected. It was brought in to celebrate people that have achieved greatly in their sport and its a way of saying thank you to them as well. The Munich Air Disaster however tragically killed young guys and cut their life short and therefore a minutes silence is more appropraite. When Alan Ball died, people wanted to applaud to say thank you, which to me is far better than a silence.

Bapou 10:33 06 Feb 2008

You are right, the press seems to have forgotten this. I spent a bit of time searching with Google, as yet have found no reference to the transfer activity of who was brought in and from where.

As for this period of applause as against silence argument. Perhaps the FA could have taken the anniversary into consideration when drawing up it's fixture's list prior to the season. Not that the FA is known for using common sense of course.

Jak_1 12:50 06 Feb 2008

As a Manchester City supporter and one who remembers the crash, just, a couple of points need claryfying.
United at the time were a very small club with only 11 backroom staff from the Chairman down to the Tea Lady. They had little or no resourses, unlike now, to do much in the way of helping survivors and relatives. The bond between City and United at hat point was strong, indeed Unitd played at City's Maine Road ground afte Old Trafford had suffered severe bomb damage during WW2. After the Munich crash Manchester City sent medical people round to the homes of the bereaved and seriously injured players offering support and help, a little known fact! It was instigated by Sidney Rose a director of City at the time and he was a surgeon.
Fans of both persuasions joined forces in making collectiond through the city with collecting buckets and boxes.
Manchester City lost one of their legends in the ccrash, ex City and England goalkeeper, Frank Swift who was at the time a football correspondent for the News Of The World.
There has always been the local rivalry but City and United fans used to watch games at each others grounds every other week back then depending on who was playing at home.

City fans at the moment are somewhat peeved, not by the attention being focused on Untited and the disaster, but on the way the media as a whole seem to think that it is fair game to castigate City fans ahead of the game in anticipation of them breaking the minutes silence! Nothing has been mentioned about the minority of United fans who regularly try to goad City fans with their chants about sinking Russian Submarines in relation to City's fall from the premiere down to division 2! Nor has anything been made about them disrupting procedeings at Anfield with callous chants! It was not City fans who started the 'Munich chants' but fans from another club across the border in Yorkshire, that club will remain nameless by me.

At the game, United have graciously allowed Manchester City to decorate the away end with Frank Swift memororbelia. City like United will be wearing special shirts for the game with no shirt sponsors logo not makers name on them. All City will have on their shirts are the players name and number and a black ribbon with the words 'Manchester remembers' printed on.

I have little doubt that the silence will be fully supported by all 3000 City fans attending however no one can absolutely sure than one imbecille will not and that includes United fans as well as City fans. You can not odds for the minority but you can be sure that if they are City fans doing it the will get a life ban from Eastlands.
I could have had a ticket for the game as I had re requesite number of loyalty points required when some were still availlable. I declined only because of the high price being charged, £47! So I will be watching the game on the big screen in the pub that will be full of both City and United Supporters and has done so for a long time with not a hint of trouble.

Hers hoping for a trouble free day at Old Trafford and 3 points heading to Eastlands!

Bingalau 13:32 06 Feb 2008

Jak_1. Thanks for that information. I also remember those days of wartime and post war football. People were mighty glad of the entertainment. As an Evertonian we, like you used to go across to the other ground (Anfield) once a fortnight to watch whoever was playing. There was no segregation in grounds in those days. You went in to whichever part of the ground you liked best. At half time you could walk round to the other end if you wished. There was never any trouble but plenty of healthy banter. Sometimes if there was a good away game in Manchester, say Blackpool versus Manchester City, we would get a train to Manchester and have a good day out there. When I was stationed in Portsmouth we went to the same area of Fratton Park every home game and supported the opposition in amongst the Pompey fans. There was never any sign of trouble and afterwards we went with the same group of Pompey fans to the local pub for a couple of pints and a laugh and joke about the game. I have always blamed the segregation of supporters for most of the trouble in grounds. I still do...

Jim Thing 13:44 06 Feb 2008

Your post brought back fond memories of Frank Swift — Big Swifty, I remember him well. As for the Munich disaster, for me it has always been one of those events (like the JFK assassination or the first moon landing) about which I can recall in great detail exactly where I was and what I was doing when I heard the news.

I was working away from Manchester at the time and I've been back only rarely since, so your post was the first mention I'd ever seen of the heartwarming generosity and support of Manchester City F.C. It's a sad reflection on society that we now find ourselves worrying whether today's City fans (or, more accurately, a few of them) will be able to sustain a decent measure of silent respect for sixty whole seconds.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?