Man Utd accept an £80 million bid for Ronaldo

Si_L 13:34 11 Jun 2009

It was a matter of time, but surprising that it happened so early in the transfer period.

click here

I think this makes sense for both clubs - Utd now have £80 million that can be put into buying a couple of great players as a replacement, and be gone with a player who, last season, didn't seem to want to play for Utd, and Madrid finally get their man. It will be a shame to see him leave as, love or hate him, he is thoroughly entertaining to watch.

Only question now is, who will Utd buy now?

Stuartli 13:47 11 Jun 2009

Taken you a long time to find out the news...:-)

You can probably get between four and six players all good enough to wear a Man Utd shirt, although as a Toffees fan I really don't care all that much.....

donki 13:48 11 Jun 2009

There has been alot of discussion in my office this morning about this, as I am sure there has been anywhere. I think everyone seen it coming but agree I am surprised at how soon it came about. I am no United fan or or a fan orf Ronaldo but I do think he is the best player in the world at this moment in time, if not the best player ever. I think that althought United will be ablbe to but 3 top quality players with the transfer fee I dont think they could find a replacemnt for what he can do. He is so veritile beign able to play left, right or up front. Also the option he gives from set pieces is devistating if not nearly impossible to defend. No matter who United get in in my opinion they well be without a great player dispite his somtimes questionable attitude and unsportsman like antics on the pitch.

Si_L 14:15 11 Jun 2009

£80 million could almost buy the entire Everton squad couldn't it?

babybell 14:37 11 Jun 2009

It could almost buy Newcastle United!

Noldi 17:29 11 Jun 2009

I might actually start to watch United play now he has gone. I wont miss his bad side even though he was brilliant at times when he stay on his feeet.

Noldi

Brighton and Hove Albion Fan

Stuartli 17:34 11 Jun 2009

Very likely.

But pound for pound Everton's players, brilliantly led by David Moyes, deliver far more in real terms in overall returns.

It might not be the Champions' League or the Premiership, but the Toffees are not all that far off the big boys despite all their money.

Once Everton can enjoy the use of a greater capacity stadium (just as Liverpool aim to do), then they will have the funds required to really push on.

Even so Everton's average gate of around 35,000 (pretty much Goodison capacity) reveals the remarkable support provided by fans.

Ironically I've been present in the two largest gates ever experienced at Goodison, one of more than 78,000 and another of more than 75,000.

Not possible, of course, today because of safety regulations.

abbott8 17:40 11 Jun 2009

could be good for Sir Alex's retirement fund, oops sorry he doesn't run a bank.

GANDALF <|:-)> 18:09 11 Jun 2009

I think this is excellent news and I'm sure ManU will celebrate their result by lowering the gate prices for their hapless fans.

G

Quiller. 18:32 11 Jun 2009

Part of the 80M will probably go to service Malcolm Glazer's debt on the club. Part will go on new players.

Though they may not get one of the fans favourites; Tevez click here

WhiteTruckMan 20:40 11 Jun 2009

Radcliffe and Macconie (if thats spelt correctly) recycling the old joke about selling half the squad to Juventas for 1/2 million, and selling the other half to fray bentos, for meat pies!

WTM

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?