Man lost in the floods

Bingalau 20:37 25 Jun 2007

Has anybody got any more information on what happened to the man drowned in the drain in Yorkshire? I have heard that his foot was caught in a grid of some kind. I was wondering why they never put a breathing apparatus on him while they tried to rescue him. Or maybe they did. It seems a long time to be working on freeing him without success. Poor devil was only trying to help someone else too.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 21:27 25 Jun 2007
  Bingalau 21:35 25 Jun 2007

What a tradgedy. Thanks for that information. Sounds like he was a very brave man!

TopCat® 17:57 26 Jun 2007

I did hear from one media source that the poor guy succumbed to hypothermia. Either way, it was tragic in the extreme. TC.

oresome 20:28 26 Jun 2007

I started off from Sheffield city centre at 14:30 yesterday and arrived home in Leeds at 23:40.

Spoke to my supervisor at 17:30 to appraise him of the situation and have not heard anything from him since.......not even today to ask how I got on, did I get home etc.

Nice to know you're appreciated.

Brumas 21:34 26 Jun 2007

Just spoke to my sister, who still lives in Hull, apparently one of the paramedics who attended the unfortunate tragedy lives nearby and he said they tried everything but it was the intense cold that finished him off.After they had extracted him they tried everything to raise his body temperature but all to no avail.

The water in her back garden is slowly subsiding but unfortunately it has seeped in through the airbricks and is under the floorboards, it hasn't risen to flood the house yet!

Brumas 21:34 26 Jun 2007

Just spoke to my sister, who still lives in Hull, apparently one of the paramedics who attended the unfortunate tragedy lives nearby and he said they tried everything but it was the intense cold that finished him off.After they had extracted him they tried everything to raise his body temperature but all to no avail.

The water in her back garden is slowly subsiding but unfortunately it has seeped in through the airbricks and is under the floorboards, it hasn't risen to flood the house yet!

Brumas 21:35 26 Jun 2007

Sorry about the double posting - it didn't appear to respond the first time.

stolensilver 21:59 27 Jun 2007

I'm aghast at what happened here. Why on earth did they not call the hospital and get out a surgeon and an anaesthetist and amputate his foot? It isn't rocket science that if you are standing in cold water for 4 hours you are going to get hypothermia. A heroic rescue attempt that overlooked the wood for the trees methinks.

DrScott 08:22 28 Jun 2007

An anesthetic would have probably have killed him at once. Amputating a foot is considerably more difficult than it looks.

One of the fire crews using one of their pneumatic cutters could have done the job, but then the patient would still have died from exsanguination or sepsis anyway.

stolensilver 18:13 28 Jun 2007

DrScott since my day job is an anaesthetist I think I can be fairly confident that it would have been possible to give him an anaesthetic (think Ketamine) that would have allowed a potentially life saving amputation! It would not have needed to be pretty, just quick.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?