The man Is a hero?

Pine Man 09:50 01 Jul 2007

Friends and family of Antonio Norte have hailed him as a hero and 'a real number one because of his bravery'.

So just what did he do to earn this accolade?

He is a lorry driver who collects illegally parked cars for NCP and in the early hours of Friday morning he picked up a Mercedes in Central London and took it a mile to the pound in Hyde park. In his words he couldn't see anything in the back seat because of a blanket and in fact there was nothing untoward about the vehicle.

It is good that a potentially very dangerous vehicle was moved from the street but is he really a brave hero?

GANDALF <|:-)> 09:59 01 Jul 2007

Nonsense. The cannisters were propane gas similar to the one that I regularly carry in my car. The man was only doing his job and the fuses were removed. Many BOC drivers carry up to 100 propane gas cannisters and I'm sure they are not 'heroes'. The word 'hero' is much over-used and even if you get captured by the Iraqis, get called Mr bean and have your Ipod taken away, you are still a hero.

I notice in the morning rags that he claims he was 'traumatised'...surely not a claim winging it's way to his employers. /eyes raise

G

WhiteTruckMan 10:17 01 Jul 2007

is the guy(s) who defused the active bomb in the first car, knowing it probably had already been activated. Now THATS heroism in my book, and at the very least they deserve a commendation for it.

As for this truck driver-well I've seen a few impound drivers at work and lets just say that I've been less than impressed with their proffesionalism. Furthermore, if he was in any way aware of any gas cannisters in the car then he should not have lifted it, because the moment the wheels left the ground it ceased to be a car and instead became a hazardous load, with all the implications thereof.

WTM

Forum Editor 10:19 01 Jul 2007

I wouldn't know.

What I do know however, is that he wasn't being brave when he picked up the car and drove it away, he was simply doing his job. He had absolutely no idea what was inside the car, and he's no hero.

He's not traumatised, either. He's probably suffering from "My god, that could have been nasty" syndrome, but as far as I'm aware the medical profession doesn't classify that as trauma.

georgemac © 10:21 01 Jul 2007

agreed - no hero - he was only moving another car as far as he knew, doing his job, think to be a hero you have to be aware beforehand that you are putting yourself in dangers way.

Pine Man 10:57 01 Jul 2007

You have all confirmed my thoughts. The 'trauma' he is suffering maybe something to do with '£' signs flashing in front of his eyes ;-0

Kate B 11:44 01 Jul 2007

Yup, to be a hero requires a conscious act of bravery. Doing your job oblivious to a hidden threat isn't brave.

spuds 12:08 01 Jul 2007

I have great respect for traffic wardens and traffic attendants. But in this case I would perhaps imagine that it was just another 'tow-away', up and on the transporter to the pound as quick as possible. As for checking inside of the vehicle, again I can only assume that this is or was not a priority, and perhaps this incident will cause the authority for removals to be more vigilant.

The driver being an hero, no way, more like a possible disaster in the making, if his travel route and storage venue was high in public activity.

But once again it takes incidents like this to bring reality to peoples lives, and only to often, people awareness evaporates at the earliest opportunity.

Ranger 12:15 01 Jul 2007

I have to agree, not a hero, while we're at it Let's remember real Hero's, today was the first day of the Battle Of The Somme in 1916.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

11 best portfolio websites for designers and artists

Office for Mac buying guide: Price, Office 2017 rumours & new features

Comment désactiver les programmes qui s'exécutent au démarrage de Windows 10 ?