Man on bridge 20 hours.

Blackhat 13:04 30 Sep 2010

click here
This incident is happening a few miles from my office. Over 20 hours to sort out a potential suicide. What do you think the police would have done 30 years ago before the compensation culture began? I think someone would have rushed him by now.

Colin 13:16 30 Sep 2010

I'm surprised that he can stay awake that long! Having said that, it's a human being we're dealing with so it takes as long as it takes. I don't think that the compensation culture has anything to do with this, it's a change of attitude.

Noldi 15:12 30 Sep 2010

click here
click here

This is the answer.

Noldi

Blackhat 16:39 30 Sep 2010

I would be inclined to think that the change in attitude reflects the fact that these days if a police officer intentionally did the slightest thing that brought about injury or suffering the first thing on the victims mind is compensation. Go back 20-30 years and I don’t believe it was the same. There weren’t claims solicitors in your face back then. I have now heard reports of complaints from local businesses that are loosing trade. Traffic delays around this part of Brum are ridiculous. Now ongoing for 24 hours, how is this man still awake?

spuds 16:53 30 Sep 2010

This sort of incident is on the increase. We have had two similar 'potential suicides' over the past twelve months (one the year before), which caused major diversions and extra emergency services attendance.

Even road traffic incidents now seem to take much longer to clear, than they did a few years ago.

Forum Editor 18:32 30 Sep 2010

so it takes as long as it takes"

Exactly. Perhaps some of the people who think this is all a bit of a nuisance, or something to make childish jokes about might one day feel as desperate, or be as confused as this man obviously is. Then it would be a different story.

A suicide is always an incredible tragedy - one person's desperation making it seem as though there's no other solution. Thank goodness there are Police officers prepared to go to such lengths to save someone's life, and what a pity that we have become such a self-interested society that all some people can think about is their own inconvenience.

jakimo 18:39 30 Sep 2010

Could it be something to to with Gordon Ramsey's "Hells Kitchen"

Armchair 18:50 30 Sep 2010

Let's hope none of the poor folk stuck in the massive traffic jams suffer strokes or whatever because of this person's sheer selfishness.

Blackhat 20:49 30 Sep 2010

" it's a human being we're dealing with so it takes as long as it takes"
It could have taken a lot less time if police took prompt action, get him down first and then sort him out,

Whatever the circumstances this has been holding half of Birmingham city centre at a stand still for over 24 hours, put an air bag under him (easily done by local fire force or get a bouncy castle) and push or can a sniper hit him with a tranquiliser? They do it to wild animals without question.

I am sure that at the end of this incident a full blown investigation will start as to the actions of the emergency services, costing ridiculous monies. If I could gain access I would give him a shove myself!

Blackhat 21:05 30 Sep 2010

‘what a pity that we have become such a self-interested society that all some people can think about is their own inconvenience.’

OK an hour or two delays now and then for some life saving incident is reasonable but we are talking here about a man who could have been recovered unharmed a day ago by rescue services. This guy is now costing B’ham thousands in lost local business trade and continuing traffic congestion. How long will it take before someone in authority takes a decision to push the button!

Forum Editor 21:08 30 Sep 2010

"If I could gain access I would give him a shove myself!"

There's not really much to be said about someone who can make an appalling comment like that - you should be ashamed of yourself.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

Halloween Photoshop & Illustrator tutorials: 20 step-by-step guides to creating spook-tacular…

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?