Is magazine going to be DVD only now?

CLONNEN 12:42 24 Mar 2006

I am now on my final couple of issues of PC Advisor on my current subscription. Every single one of the Renewal Offers coming in my post seem to be advertising the DVD Edition (with free Britannica dvdrom).

Will the CD Edition still be available when my subscription runs out? And is there going to be another Issue Archive CD as the free bonus gift? I don't want Britannica - I have bought the Issue Archive cdrom every year with my subscription renewal since 2000.

GANDALF <|:-)> 13:08 24 Mar 2006
  Forum Editor 23:57 24 Mar 2006

from the person responsible for this aspect of the magazine, but it isn't going to happen over the weekend. Bear with me until next week if you would.

RickyC :-) 15:20 25 Mar 2006

Clonnen - you will still be able to renew your CD subscription, we've no plans to cease distribution of the CD edition of PC Advisor. If you're concerned that you may miss an issue when your subscription ends, please call 01795 414835 and you will be able to speak with someone who can renew your CD sub.

Over the past 6 months we have seen the DVD become increasingly popular in the shops - due to the additional full software, trial programs and games demos that come on the cover disc. Naturally we expect the same to happen with subscriptions.

So when you call to renew your subscription for the CD, think about what you're missing out on by not having the DVD!

Regarding the issue archive - no decision has yet been made whether to offer the 2005 content as a free subs gift - we gave away all the reviews from 2005 on a cover disc earlier in the year and may decide to offer the remaining features, workshops and helpline content on a future cover disc.

Richard
CD Editor

Edbanger 16:54 25 Mar 2006

I think you should have a poll asking who will still buy the mag if the CD edition is no longer sold.
I for one will not pay the extra for the magazine containing a DVD I do not want or will not use.

Forum Editor 17:14 25 Mar 2006

As Richard has said, we have no plans to cease distribution of the CD edition - that's pretty clear isn't it?

pj123 17:23 25 Mar 2006

FE. "I'm trying to get you a definitive response
from the person responsible for this aspect of the magazine, but it isn't going to happen over the weekend. Bear with me until next week if you would."

Didn't anticipate that did you? That's at least two PCA staff working over the weekend.

I subscribe to the DVD issue but there must be lot's of people who don't have a DVD drive but do have a CD drive so it's nice to know that they will still be catered for.

wallbash 18:51 25 Mar 2006

Quote .. Over the past 6 months we have seen the DVD become increasingly popular in the shops

your sales figures tell you that. But have you given regard to those who , because of the likes Tesco's, who no longer sell the cd version , are forced to buy the Super Mag with the unwanted DVD disc?

SG Atlantis® 18:55 25 Mar 2006

Or in the first place the cd wasn't selling that well compared to dvd, so that's why the likes of tesco has pulled it from their shelves??

wallbash 19:15 25 Mar 2006

Fair point

But... I for one took out the Subscription, only when I found it harder and harder to buy the cheaper version

ade.h 19:35 25 Mar 2006

PC Pro is beginning to suffer this, and I have always assumed that it's down to the retailers and distributors rather than the publisher attempting to ditch the cheaper version or anything like that. After all, I would imagine that the retailers may get a slightly higher margin out of the higher cover price, and so would order more DVD editions if they thought that they could sell them. It takes no more shelf space, so it would be in the retailers' interests to increase the turnover, even if there's no more margin in it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Illustrator Sylvain Tegroeg created thousands of intricate line drawings for the mobile game…

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment télécharger une application indisponible en France ?