Madagascar

morddwyd 19:56 10 Feb 2011

As I haven't watched any of Attenborough's stuff for a decade or so I thought I'd give the new one a chance.

I needn't have bothered, nothing's changed.

Less than ten minutes into the series and we're watching creatures mating.

What is it with this bloke's obsession with showing this one aspect of the vast array of natural behaviour?

I know he's a master of his craft, none better, but having watched this stuff on everything he's made since the 60s I simply cannot watch any more.

sunnystaines 21:04 10 Feb 2011

not seen it, but has he found out how to reduce the background music yet

peter99co 22:09 10 Feb 2011

I watch without worrying about what he puts on show. I enjoy the program for what it is. It can be watched by any age group and is always well filmed by some of the best operators in the business. The trouble they take to get the right shot is amazing. Considering it is my license fee that pays for it, I may as well get my monies worth.

peter99co 22:31 10 Feb 2011

the facts of life.

It does help our children to see life as it is in real life.

click here

Forum Editor 22:38 10 Feb 2011

for the sheer pleasure of seeing animals filmed in their natural habitats by some of the world's best wildlife camera and sound teams.

The films are deliberately produced so that endangered animals and habitats are given the widest possible publicity - there isn't much point in showing towns in an Attenborough wildlife programme. David Attenborough is reaching the end of his career, and he's doing what he wants to do - he's given a more or less free hand because his films make millions all over the world - he's right at the very top of an exclusive tree.

His priority is to spread the word about animals and habitats that need help, and he does it superbly. I for one will miss his work terribly when he finally decides to call it a day.

Al94 22:42 10 Feb 2011

I thought it was superb!

gardener 23:02 10 Feb 2011

morddwyd

This is what the natural world does: fight, mate, eat or be eaten. What do you expect from a natural history programme? chameleons playing football?

The programme showed how evolution by natural selection can produce such variety within the four imperatives above.

dororof 01:58 11 Feb 2011

Surely you are not tired of "mating",I jest,i understand your feelings.
It seems that the process of life has been reduced to feeding and mating,HMMMM,is there something i am missing ?????

morddwyd 08:37 11 Feb 2011

"This is what the natural world does: fight, mate, eat or be eaten"

My point exactly.

There are other aspects of the natural world besides the mating with which this man seems besotted.

Unless the process involves some unusual behaviour, perhaps unique to a particular species interest soon wanes.

One antelope perched on the back of another looks very much like another.

peter99co 17:20 13 Feb 2011

Just watched this weeks offering and it was great.

The film crew do a brilliant job considering the terrain and the water-borne filming.

Quickbeam 08:07 14 Feb 2011

There was non of that sort of behaviour in Madagascar the movie.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone