Mad drivers on road

CatTrading 21:06 31 Dec 2007

Driving along just 30 minutes ago, observing that speed limit, as more police out tonight & a clio comes up behind me flashes the lights and honks the horn, gets passed me & i'm given the finger.

About a mile down the road as i get onto a straight section i can see a car has gone in the central reservation on a dual carriage way, seems the clio driver overtook in lane 2 to get passed another car.

Total write off & all to get ahead by a few minutes.
Will young drivers ever learn?

octal 22:05 31 Dec 2007

I hope you didn't give the finger as you went past him, as tempting as it might have been ;)

Forum Editor 01:56 01 Jan 2008

Well obviously most of them do, otherwise there would be no old drivers.

Young male drivers have always driven faster than they really should, it goes with being young, and behind the wheel of a vehicle. There will be people who say "I never did it", but I always take such assertions with a pinch of salt.

What's changed over the years is that cars - even small 'first' cars - have become much more powerful and capable of higher speeds and quicker acceleration. Their brakes are more powerful, and the vehicles are more stable; all of which provides young drivers with a lethal mix. They are lulled into a false sense of security by the safety that is built in to all new cars, and the result is often what you saw.

With luck nobody was injured.

Kemistri 03:18 01 Jan 2008

The government wants more people to use public transport. It wants fewer accidents among young drivers. Would it contribute to reducing the latter statistic and raise public transport usage if the age limit was raised?

I have only been driving for three years, since the age of 27, but I have always tried to think "drive safely and focus". I have one of those powerful, fast, but small cars to which the FE alluded, but I never feel the need to drive it like the seat is on fire.

These guys who drive on adrenaline and testosterone really need to find some other outlet for it in which they will not put others at risk.

crosstrainer 03:27 01 Jan 2008

One handed this Christmas, (due to my own stupidity) I have observed some "cunning" Stunts on the road...

Will they learn?

When they Die, or cause a death.

Miros 07:54 01 Jan 2008

I have no problem with them killing themselves, it's who they take with them I object to.

laurie53 09:08 01 Jan 2008

That and the diversion of precious emergency resources like police, fire and ambulance.

BT 09:18 01 Jan 2008

I live near a large High School and there are a number of lads who tear around the local streets on their 'illegally' souped up scooters and 'bikes especially at school turning out time. One of the had a head on with a car last year and eventually died. Does it slow down the rest of 'em - NO. I saw a trail bike last week with two up doing a wheely along the road. As the local roads have a 20mph limit and he must have been doing well over this to maintain a two up wheely, he was clearly breaking more than one law.

As Miros said
"I have no problem with them killing themselves, it's who they take with them I object to."

Forum Editor 11:04 01 Jan 2008

who drive it's as well to remember that the person you see at home may not always be the same person that's behind the wheel. Most young drivers experiment with speed at some point or another, and many of them do it on a regular basis.

Personally I'm horrified to hear so-called rational people making comments such as "I have no problem with them killing themselves, it's who they take with them I object to." I care very much that someone's son or daughter might die in a car crash, whether or not they happened to be driving at the time - the result is the same, and there will be parents and siblings whose lives will be shattered as a consequence.

Reckless driving isn't limited to young people - I see driving standards that make my blood run cold on a daily basis, and many of the culprits are men (it's usually men) who are old enough to know better. No doubt these people have cbhildren, and no doubt those children are watching the way their parents behave on the roads.

Young people will take risks - they learn about life by doing so, it has always been that way, and always will be that way.Our problem is that nowadays they're taking the risks at the wheel of a ton of lethal metal, and other people can be caught up in the resulting mayhem. As always, parents can be a major influence on the behaviour of their children, and people who adopt the attitude that it's society's responsibility to prevent their children coming to harm are the very ones who may find themselves hearing that knock on the door some dreadful day.

Quickbeam 11:04 01 Jan 2008

You should have been out just after midnight last night... within the space of five minutes after midnight the roads were full of crazed maniacs. I can't believe the majority were sober!

Miros 11:42 01 Jan 2008

If they are stupid enough to drive in a reckless manner endangering themselves so be it, sad yes, but that is their choice ,it's not the choice of others to become involved and that is what I object to. I stand by what I said.

Do you think that is irrational? I don't.

I have sons daughters grandchildren, and great grand children, and have no wish to see them involved in such a manner, either as the instigator or victim.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment regarder des séries et talk-shows américains en France ?