M25 How bad

Kevscar1 10:15 23 Jul 2010

Got to go down to see FME at netley 2nd Aug. Going to leave MK at 8 which should put me M25 junc M1 at about 9. Anyone any idea how long it will take to getround to M3 junc that time of morning. Any roadworks along that stretch Please.

john bunyan 10:31 23 Jul 2010

Depends on accidents etc. I would allow 2 - 2 1/2 hours from M25 / M1 to Netley (I assume the one near Soutampton?

Noldi 11:13 23 Jul 2010

2nd Aug is a Sunday so I would have thought a lot faster than a weekday. No major road works, I would have thought its about 130 miles = 2 hours + a bit of comfort time.

Noldi

Kevscar1 15:48 23 Jul 2010

Noldi
it's a Monday

John yes Hamble lane

sunnystaines 17:23 23 Jul 2010

staines to m3 junction will be ok cannot speak the the other part

natdoor 17:35 23 Jul 2010

It's just under 100 miles. In general, traffic will be heavier in the opposite direction. However, the M25 to M3 is likely to be subject to heavy traffic and the M27 might be too, although it should be normal by mid-morning. I think a little over two hours should suffice, barring a major incident. There are usually good, regular traffic bulletins on BBC local radio, so I would suggest that you try and catch these at around 9am for a few days before and on the day, if possible. Have a safe journey!

Forum Editor 18:08 23 Jul 2010

you'll experience a high volume of traffic anti clockwise on the M25 - I'll be one of your fellow travellers on that morning, I'll be riding around to the airport from Junction 21 on the M25.

I normally allow 45 minutes for the M25 section of my journey, so if you allow an hour you should be covered. There's no way to be sure because the M25 is unpredictable. I use it a lot, and there's just no way of knowing when there'll be a tailback for some reason.

There are ongoing road widening works between J16 and 23, and they cause delays which vary. The M25 is one of the busiest roads in Europe,and it's never exactly quiet, but from today it should ease slightly - schools are out, and people are heading off on holiday. London traffic has been noticeably better over the past few days.

Noldi 19:00 23 Jul 2010

Sorry my mistake.

sunnystaines 19:21 23 Jul 2010

do not forget to play the chris rea tune road to hell as you drive.

full length version on youtube

click here

Forum Editor 19:34 23 Jul 2010

it's essential to get into the right frame of mind.

Accept the fact that although you will eventually arrive at your exit slip there will almost certainly be at least one unexpected hold up. Plan for it, allow more time than you think you'll need for your journey if it's a one-off, or if- like me- you use the road regularly to go to and from work appointments accept that there are always thousands of other cars travelling the same route, and just go with the flow.

The idea is to try to minimise your stress levels, because believe me, if you don't, you'll be driving with that knot in your stomach almost every inch of the way.

Enjoy your trip, and don't forget to give me a wave.

birdface 19:35 23 Jul 2010

If it is Southampton way, maybe cross over to Bicester and down the A34.
Or High Wycombe and down the M40 or across the 404 to the M4.
Nothing is quick at that time of morning especially on Mondays.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Converse draws on iconic heritage for a fresh brand identity

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment lancer Windows 10 en mode sans ├ęchec ?