'Love bus'

The Brigadier 18:00 14 Feb 2009

Valentine's Day has failed to inspire the romantics of Wrexham to get on a "love bus" and pop the question.

Arriva Wales was offering to kit out a bus with champagne and chocolates for anyone who wanted to make a proposal on the move. They were even going to change the bus destination board to read "Will you marry me? and add a personalisation.

But a spokesman for the company said "unfortunately" no-one in Wrexham had come forward to take up the offer.

The spokesman said they had run the promotion in other areas of the UK and "someone had taken up the offer in Yorkshire, but unfortunately no-one has in the Wrexham area."

The company was offering to equip the "love bus" with chocolates, champagne, cherubs, hearts and harps to make it an "unforgettable" place for a proposal. They were also offering to be on hand to help transport any couple whose romance was sealed on Valentine's Day to their wedding.

But their spokesman said: "It just looks as though it wasn't meant to be."

Stuartli 20:52 14 Feb 2009

Arrivederci to that proposal then...:-)

Miké 21:43 14 Feb 2009

Or should that be Hwyl as its Wales.

WhiteTruckMan 22:52 14 Feb 2009

for nearly 18 years, next anniversary. Modest by some peoples standards, I know, but still a not inconsiderable period of time. However, as the government seems so indifferent to the ordinary married couple I have to wonder just why we bothered! Certainly if we were to have our time all over again starting from today we wouldnt. In fact it came as a surprise to us that the youngest person we know personally who is actually married is 39!

WTM

Forum Editor 23:59 14 Feb 2009

It might interest you to learn that for the first time in our history unmarried cohabiting partners outnumber married couples by six to four.

Marriage it seems is on the decline, with only 40% of couples opting to tie the knot that way.

Stuartli 00:01 15 Feb 2009

Puns clearly pass you by...:-)

Perhaps Arrivaderci might have been better...:-)

Stuartli 00:04 15 Feb 2009

This is perhaps one of the strangest, funniest and most unusual proposal of marriage:

click here

WhiteTruckMan 00:20 15 Feb 2009

Interest, yes. Surprise, no.

As far as I can see, there is simply no point to marriage these days. The government can bang on about family values, but also removed the married tax allowance. Being married (with children) doesnt put you ahead on a council house waiting list. But being single does. Easily available divorces have devalued (in my eyes, at least) the commitment that is required to make a marriage work.

No point at all.

WTM

dagnammit 07:43 15 Feb 2009

Where I work I'm one of quite a few people who married in recent years... we're all under the age of thirty too!

Our store opened 2 1/2 years ago and in that time:

1 area manager
1 store manager
1 dept manager
4 non-management all have gotten married and not to each other might I add!

I guess it's each to their own. I know we'd be better off financially if we lived apart due to Gordon Brown's inept Tax Credits System rewarding single parents, so maybe that's a factor too?

Chegs ®™ 08:14 15 Feb 2009

I got married & it lasted all of five years before my ex-wife went off with a mate of mine.I have little interest in marrying my present partner & we've been together about 17yrs,my partner feels the same as I have asked her to become my wife twice & she declined.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?