Louise Mensch Quits Politics

oresome 11:18 06 Aug 2012

Love her or loath her, I think it's a sad day for politics.

We need a better balance of women in Parliament and the hours and workload need to accomodate their family responsibilities.

Cymro. 11:41 06 Aug 2012

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-19146805 At least we will now all know who she is.

Woolwell 12:11 06 Aug 2012

This appears to be about correctly wanting to move to New York to be with her husband than about the hours and workload.

birdface 13:17 06 Aug 2012

I think she has done really well since entering the political arena. I believe she had a good reputation and will be missed by the Tory Party.

Corby is mostly inclined to vote for labour and may well be a seat lost for the Tory's.

I understand and I may be wrong but I believe her husband has something to do with music in the US.

The first thing you have to do is make sure the family comes first.

She has made the correct decision and the door will always be open for her return in the future.

Whether she was in Politics or not in the US I am sure, she will do as well over there as she did here if that is what she wants to do.

All I can say is the best of luck to her and hope everything works out as planned.

Woolwell 13:23 06 Aug 2012

buteman - details of her husband are in Cymro's link - he is the manager of Metallica.

spuds 09:45 07 Aug 2012

Is it really all that important that a politician resigns through 'family reasons'.

Long distance travel between countries is far easier nowadays, and perhaps people like Simon Cowell and other celebrities will say this, because they may do it on a very regular basis. But it doesn't always hold a marriage or family life together.

Whatever the case, it would be interesting to see how the electorate vote, and what sort of turn-out it will be. Corby as had some right knocks over the years, employment wise. But taking politics in general, I suppose it will be another case of Wait and See?.

wee eddie 10:14 07 Aug 2012

Perhaps she wouldn't have been under such family stress if she had not been writing a book at the same time!

I believe that such behaviour, not the 'wanting to spend more time with your family' bit, but starting a 'high profile' job and not finishing it, puts the position of women in Parliament back a few years.

A great shame.

Mr Mistoffelees 10:21 07 Aug 2012

Woman quits to live with husband.....Meh!

birdface 10:41 07 Aug 2012

Maybe she has seen the light and decided to jump ship before it sank.looks like it could be heading that way.

Not exactly sure how she ended up in Politics in this country when she stayed in the US.

There is ups and down's in all marriages and I don't know if that is where her problem lies or not.or whether she just wanted a new career in something different.

She is probably missing the family and the family will be missing her,If career minded it may have been a hard decision for her to make.But probably the correct one in the long term.

Looking up her history she has some very good connections.Born in London I believe.So I can see why she may have been reluctant to go back to the US.

Home is where the heart is they say.So maybe she was just confused as to where that was.

rickf 10:45 07 Aug 2012

She is married to the most famous metal band Metallica's mamnager who lives in New York and being apart from each other regularly may be taking a toll on their relationship

KRONOS the First 11:21 07 Aug 2012

Wants to spend more time with the family,nudge nudge wink wink. Oh I am such a cynic.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

iPhone X vs Samsung Galaxy Note 8

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017