the lost world signed by arthur conan doyle

Proclaimer 16:01 31 Aug 2010

Valuable, collectable... Signed and dated July 14th 1919?

Proclaimer 16:33 31 Aug 2010

It is a dedication. Don't have plans to sell it, just found it in our book collection after we renovated and we were putting stuff back where it belongs.

Forum Editor 18:30 31 Aug 2010

A book signed and dedicated by a very famous author is in another league, especially if the dedication was to someone you know, or knew, who can verify the authenticity of the inscription.

Take fourm member's advice, get the book appraised by an auction house, and then you might want to insure it.

Proclaimer 20:22 31 Aug 2010

The dedication is for Felix Markham, he went on to be a Don and Professor at Oxford University. He was a leading, if not the leading Scholar on Napoleon Bonaparte.

Incidentally, he helped Stanley Kubrick with his 'lost' movie 'Napoleon'. That movie was never filmed but I have the original script for the movie, the one actually typed by Kubrick himself. It was sent to Felix for him to check over for inaccuracies. There is also other correspondence between the two discussing many aspects of Napoleons Life.

More important thought, he was my Father-in-Laws Uncle, that would be why we now have this book in our possession.

I will take the book and get a valuation or try and find someone online that can do it.

morddwyd 20:28 31 Aug 2010

I once had a signed copy of Karl Doenitx's Autobiography, which I gave to my son.

I've had one or two regrets since!

ella33 09:42 01 Sep 2010

The Sherlock Holmes Museum, in Baker Street, London, could be another place to ask about valuation maybe? It is a place I often walk past but have never actually stopped at. They may have a good idea how many people would be interested in the book.

lotvic 10:24 01 Sep 2010

I think click here will be of interest as they have one for sale and give a few details of the book issues. There were only 1000 printed in all.

Proclaimer 10:41 01 Sep 2010

The copy we have here is the Blue one with the Colour Plate in the front and B&W Plates through out it.

I think there is a Rare Book Shop here where I live, never been in it before so I could be wrong. I will wander down today.

GANDALF <|:-)> 10:41 01 Sep 2010

The price above is for a large print, first edition from 1912. First editions are worth considerably more than the other editions.

G

lotvic 13:28 01 Sep 2010

A few more editions listed on the co.uk site click here

Proclaimer 14:14 01 Sep 2010

Been to the Rare Book Shop Man, he said this edition is one of only 190 printed and it would be worth between £2,000 and £4,000 at auction. He advised we insure it for a minimum of £2,000. So that is just what we will do.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: University of the West of England (UWE)

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Les meilleures GoPro 2017