Lost a camera or found one?

simonjary 11:37 20 Oct 2009

Lost a camera or camera card? Found one?

Check out this website where people who find cameras can send in some pics from that camera so that the people who lost it might find it again.

Great idea.

click here

jack 12:47 20 Oct 2009

Some months ago I found a card[xD I think] on the pavement out side the central library in our town.
I too thought. 645zonecough see what on it may have a clue - but alas it had been kicked around so much it would not read.
It is a certainly a good idea to include on the card or camera internal memory- basic I/D detail
name and post code would do.

Stuartli 13:04 20 Oct 2009

Unfortunately it doesn't cover toe rags who steal them...

peter99co 14:20 20 Oct 2009

When I used a film camera the first shot was of a card with my name and address.

Forum Editor 17:56 20 Oct 2009

I do the same thing with my digital cameras when I go travelling - I put an image on the memory card with my contact details, and an offer of a reward if the finder contacts me.

It hasn't happened yet, but you never know. I like the idea behind the site in simonjary's link.

cycoze 20:25 20 Oct 2009

"I put an image on the memory card with my contact details, and an offer of a reward if the finder contacts me."

Simple but excellent idea!

bjh 09:56 21 Oct 2009

I also take a picture of the contents of my suitcase spread out on my bed before I fill it. I leave that photo behind.
Two good reasons: firstly, it can make packing a damn sight easier and faster the next time for short business trips and the like (and remind you what else you needed). Secondly, for any insurance claim, including loss of case, you have an easy indication of what you took.

(I also try to remember to photograph any electrical items I intend to return under warranty, or items sent for repair, to show what condition they were in, and that they were suitably packaged).

Digital cameras - wonderful tools!!!

Seth Haniel 10:18 21 Oct 2009

I take a photo of the back of the PC before I unplug it all - so I know where everything plugs back in :)

Chris the Ancient 11:35 21 Oct 2009

A simple, logical and brilliant idea. Now, why have I never thought of that?

It does take me back to a time in my good old 35mm days when I occasionally needed a 'time stamp' to show in some pictures (for evidential purposes). A quick picture of the tv screen showing a ceefax/teletext page (which has date and time on it) before and after the event proved satisfactory to 'his honour the judge' - as long as the film strip was not cut to shorter lengths.

As time/date clocks can be adjusted on digital cameras, I should imagine that a memory card treated the same way, sealed in an envelope and posted to oneself by recorded delivery - and left sealed - could suffice.

Condom 15:48 22 Oct 2009

CtheE
I was advised top do something similar years ago with music. Send it to myself in a registered envelope and not open it. I had previously sent a singer/songwriter a song for an opinion and got it rejected but it turned up on one of his LP's a year later. Nothing I could do but I still cringe when I see his name credited against this song.

Chris the Ancient 15:57 22 Oct 2009

I fully agree about applying this to other things as well.

I used to do some free-lance writing and I was given that tip for that.

Anything I wrote, I sent to myself - registered post (in those days) - and never had a problem.

However, I hate to think what would have happened if I hadn't bolted the stable door BEFORE the horse got lose. OTOH, I probably didn't write anything worth plagiarising :0((

I recommend this system to anybody that might produce anything that could end up in the public domain... Plus, of course, the appropriate copyright symbol, name and date on anything passed on.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: UAL Central Saint Martins

MacBook Pro 15-inch (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?