Long live vinyl

WhiteTruckMan 10:52 05 Jan 2009

click here

No doubt some killjoy or naysayer will come along to refute this story, but I dont care! you simply cant get the same feeling just from holding a cd. The nearest I can come in feelgood terms is thinking about my old 8-track, but I think that really should be left where treasured memories go to gather dust.

WTM

dagnammit 12:20 05 Jan 2009

I remember buying my first music CD and the feeling was awesome. I still enjoy buying them now as opposed to downloads.

I guess the CD to me is what Vinyl is to you. Different generation and all that :P

Covergirl 12:57 05 Jan 2009

. . . whenever I spot something I fancy in 2nd hand or record shops.

Yes, it's unique and touchy feely, but suffers from scratches, clicks, jumps, skips, wow, flutter and rumble, and it's an absolute nightmare to "rip", separate tracks and clean up the noise, but I still love it.

I'm not saying CDs don't suffer from some of the same, but with less care than vinyl, they're much more resilient.

I'm keeping mine on the "not for sale" shelf and duplicating them with CDs whenever I can.

interzone55 12:58 05 Jan 2009

I still prefer the warm sound of vinyl.

I've got a couple of thousand LPs and singles. and I recently spent a huge wedge of cash on a decent Pro-Ject turntable.

The issue with vinyl records is that you've got to keep the record clean and dust free. you have to care for the record, and these days a lot of people don't care about anything any more. Music, like so many other things, has become disposable.

You want the latest tune, you either pop along to iTunes and pay for it, or download it for free from Pirate Bay or some other site. When you get fed up of it the tune gets lost amongst the other trash in your music folder. Because there is no physical product there is nothing to remind you of the song, so it gets completely forgotten.

I can't see people being nostalgic about MP3s in a few years time...

Chegs ®™ 15:27 05 Jan 2009

All this nostalgia about a 7" single.I recall getting a vinyl single attached to a newspaper,being unplayable as the letterbox had scraped a large area of the track and the record-player arm simply sliding off.

Why do people like a 7" single yet not hold the ancient 78rpm records in the same reverence?My parents had a collection of 78rpm records that were stored in their sleeves,then contained within a large sturdy trunk.I remember my mother getting her first "music centre" and taping all the 78's,this was the only time these 78 records were ever played and the cassettes ended up in the car where the variations in temperature & humidity ruined them.

Curio 15:44 05 Jan 2009

My son has gone retro with a return with a vengeance to vinyl. Has spent a very large wedge on a Japanese valve amp with a separate phono stage. Now buying Thorens Turntable with SME arm and a magnetic cartridge (identity unknown). Buying heavyweight vinyl discs at exhorbitant prices too. I converted all my vinyl to CD some time ago but am hanging onto the discs. I am now of an age where convenience wins every time. Though I do miss reading the album covers as the disc spins. To each his own.

WhiteTruckMan 16:11 05 Jan 2009

would that have been the type of single pressed onto one side of a (very) floppy square of black plastic?

WTM

Chegs ®™ 16:22 05 Jan 2009

In a word,yes.

WhiteTruckMan 16:36 05 Jan 2009

they weren't exactly 'proper' vinyl, were they? But I recall a bay city rollers example that made a remarkable good frisbee. The downside of it is that its probably worth a small fortune now on ebay!

WTM

interzone55 17:07 05 Jan 2009

The old 78's sound horrible, they're mono, and the dynamic range is tiny.

I've got a few 78s and although my turntable will play them, I'm not willing to sacrifice my cartridge on the alter of shellac.

By the way, it's traditional in discussions about records to reveal the first single you ever bought, just to show how cool you were as a 12 year old. I'm almost certain that most people lie, because there can't be that many pre-teens who bought Smiths & Sex Pistols records.

The first single I ever bought was Snot Rap by Sid Snot (Kenny Everett). The first album I bought (on cassette) was the first Now That's What I Call Music compilation...

alan2273 17:15 05 Jan 2009

The first single I brought was Little White Bull by Tommy Steele in 1959, and I still have it 50 years later, and at the time I had a Dansette record player.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone