London commuters 'face card woe' PC glitch

Seth Haniel 09:47 14 Jul 2008

click here
Thousands of people using London's public transport network may find their electronic Oyster card no longer works after a fault hit the system.
The system was inoperable for at least five hours on Saturday. Some cards used during that time have since stopped working or incurred a fine.
The cards are used as payment on buses, Tube, tram and Docklands Light Railway.
Transport for London apologised and said people with a faulty card could get a replacement from Tube stations.
A spokesman said: "Customers whose cards are not working are advised to go to their nearest London Underground ticket office where they will be able to exchange their card for a replacement.

-------------
Our staff car park uses cards and you never get a full week without some failure on the system and delays as you contact the helpdesk.

spuds 11:18 14 Jul 2008

But, is the cancellation of fines being honoured, if the ticket holder as not made an official complaint!.

Forum Editor 16:16 14 Jul 2008

are used millions of times a day, day in and day out - I use one myself if I travel on the London underground. Since they were introduced the improvement at the ticket barriers has been remarkable - they have transformed the way that hundreds of thousands of people can rapidly transit the barriers in the morning and evening rush hours.

As far as I cann recall there hasn't been a fault on this scale before, and I imagine everyone will soon overcome any minor problems that the glitch caused.

interzone55 16:37 14 Jul 2008

I've never used the oyster cards, but I remember working at a very high security place where they used the same cards for their access control, they'd set the system up as fail-secure, so when the server died all the doors stayed locked.

One day I was in a corridor when the server finally rolled over and died permanently, so I was locked in the corridor for about 3 hours with only a coffee machine for company.

When I was finally released, and after a lengthy trip to the gents, I was shown the hidden release button for the doors. It's not a very good access control system if you can just bypass the security with a little button above the suspended ceiling...

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone