locked thread

p;3 11:22 16 Dec 2006

this click here could have been an interesting discussion and debate on that topic if people had kept to the matter being discussed

anskyber 11:27 16 Dec 2006

I agree, I was on the point of making my own contribution about the principle issue of capital punishment. The few spoiling things for the many, a shame.

Kate B 11:36 16 Dec 2006

Yeah, it's a shame - this forum can be great for debating reasonably dispassionately. The FE keeps pretty well on top of idiots but I don't think it does any harm for us to ignore idiots and their postings. They generally get the message if nobody dignifies their additions to a thread with a response.

HondaMan 12:44 16 Dec 2006

so lets try again.

Watchful 13:00 16 Dec 2006

I used to be against capital punishment; the principle being that it makes us as bad as the criminal but I have often reviewed my opinion and have come to the conclusion that it should be there as an option, even if never used, and, hopefully, would act as deterrent rather like nuclear weapons. I don't consider it to be barbaric, torture is barbaric, and would have a firing-squad as the method so that one particular person would not be totally responsible.

Kate B 13:07 16 Dec 2006

It doesn't act as a deterrent - you only have to look at the murder statistics in the US. And it costs an absolute fortune to adminster: condemned prisoners appeal and appeal and appeal again. I simply can't see that killing someone is good for anyone - even the original victim's family. Nothing good at all comes of it. And that's without even starting to visit the concerns about how many people are wrongly executed; and without discussing how it's used as an instrument of terror in so many countries. Look at Kenyan colonial history: British hands are awash in blood there. That alone, never mind anything else, should convince a doubter that the death penalty is appalling and has no place in a civilised society.

Totally-braindead 14:14 16 Dec 2006

Well I disagree. If you take someone elses life you should forfeit your own. You've all seen cases of convicted murderers been set free after doing their sentence who kill again after been out only a short time.
We don't have the death penalty and in the case of many people I know, myself included, they think this is a mistake and would like to see it reinstated. I know its not politically correct to say this but I do believe it is a deterent and would at least stop those that have already killed from doing so again.
In the US not all states have the death penalty and its worthwhile remembering that guns are rather common there. If you're over a certain age you can just walk into a store and buy one, I believe theres a waiting period but even so if you want one you can get one reasonably easily.
Surely this must have a big effect on the statistics of murder.
Regarding people being wrongly convicted it does happen and I feel that our court system is better than the US one and while there is still the possability of wrongful convictions the chance of such a thing happening is much reduced.
I've been in court quite a few times in this country both as a victim, a witness and as a member of the jury and in my experience it is extremely differcult to convict someone of a crime they have not committed. If there is no doubt whatsoever that someone has murdered someone then as far as I am concerned having deprived someone else of their life they have lost the right to keep theirs.
I would accept a life sentence for murder but lets face it life is not life. Many get out in a few years and that to me is not justice. The punishment should fit the crime.

Arthur Scrimshaw 14:15 16 Dec 2006

123 people have been released from death row after a review of the evidence since 1973. Surely that is reason enough to end this. Thats over ten percent of the total executed over the same period.
click here

GANDALF <|:-)> 14:28 16 Dec 2006

'Regarding people being wrongly convicted it does happen and I feel that our court system is better than the US one and while there is still the possibility of wrongful convictions the chance of such a thing happening is much reduced'.... Guildford Four, Birmingham Six, The Bridgwater Four, The M25 Three, Derek Bentley (bit too late) and about one hundred here click here (another 50 if you click on their 'hall of infamy' may somewhat disagree. You may also wish to look at click here before making rather erroneous statements. The majority of the above would have been sentenced to death. It would appear that the punishment, were it to exist, would not have fitted the crime.

The above are for the UK only, now if you apply this to the States where the victims of miscarriage have no chance unless they can communicate from the next life...........and remember all the above were 'definitely, 100%, absolutely sure, positively' guilty.

In view of the above a society and people whose only redress to serious crimes is killing, when there is a chance that the accused is innocent, are little better than knuckle-draggers IMHO.

G

chocolate cake 14:36 16 Dec 2006

Surely there must be a way that capital punishment can work in this country. How about in circumstances where there is absolutely no doubt that the murder was committed by the fella in the dock? You would need at least two completely independent witnesses and a full and frank confession by the accused. That would do it for me.

GANDALF <|:-)> 14:41 16 Dec 2006

'How about in circumstances where there is absolutely no doubt that the murder was committed by the fella in the dock? You would need at least two completely independent witnesses and a full and frank confession by the accused'...if you read the links above and do a little research into miscarriages in the States you would find out that many case had better 'evidence' than you have suggested.

G

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?