A load of old rubbish....

realist 20:47 25 Aug 2006

Here in Kent fly-tipping is rife in what little countryside we have that has not yet been built upon. As the gateway from Europe it really is quite shameful.

It's quite usual for a once idyllic landscape, or humble roadside verge, to become littered overnight with builders' rubble, someone's old three-piece suite, and miscellaneous black sacks, etc.

I partly blame the local council who have put height-restriction barriers at the entrances to the official waste disposal sites, and seem generally to make it difficult for people to get rid of stuff. It's as if, although it's the council's duty to get rid of your rubbish, they'd really rather not have to do it, thank-you!

The thought also occurs: why don't people on community service get to be made to clear it up...a la Boy George!

Is it the same where you live?

Al94 20:52 25 Aug 2006

Yes same here plus a bigger problem of illegal wast from Republic of Ireland being illegally dumped click here

realist 21:04 25 Aug 2006

Thanks Al94.
And there was me thinking it was just a little local difficulty....not organised crime!

namtas 21:06 25 Aug 2006

Same here in North Yorkshire, picking up your height restriction point isn't that linked to stopping commercial disposal from using the site and therefore ensuring they pay perhaps £50-100 a load at a commercial disposal point usually also council owned.

The problem with this is it gives temptation to find your quite lane and dump the lot, and which comes back on the Councils door step as they get tasked to clean up.

It is a problem and I am not sure how it can be resolved, one way would be to get rid of so much fancy packaging. It is ironical in the days when we all had coal fire we burnt a lot of the rubbish

Fellsider 21:28 25 Aug 2006

Here the council have started charging for collecting bulky waste.

You are allowed three free collections of up to 8 items then they start to charge.

Now if that isn't inviting fly tipping I don't know what is!!

rdave13 21:41 25 Aug 2006

It's been like that for a few years in North Wales. Except it's six items TWICE a year. Had seven items once and phoned the council for them to collect. They appologised and said they could only collect six bulk items. The lady asked what the items were and I gave a list and she helpfully suggested that if I tied two items together (ie. headboard and footboard of a bead) then that would be counted as one item. So I tied them together and the council came and collected the seven....woops...six items and all were happy.

Sometimes I despair at red tapr.

De Marcus™ 21:42 25 Aug 2006

Fellsider, your post has made me realise why your called Fellsider, because, ta-daa, your from Fellside, a place I know very, very well and miss sorely.

I used to live in 'Shields' (you'll know where that is) and Fellside was a regular haunt of mine, round the pubs, etc.

Thanks for the memories.

Sorry to get off topic!

Bandy 21:46 25 Aug 2006

Three items of bulky waste where I am cost £12.
Two computers or 1 large old printer sre considered commercial waste.
As for paint tins either wait until any paint inside is dry and hard, or take them forty miles to the nearest disposal site.

Sapins 22:20 25 Aug 2006

Here, in France, I can just ring the town hall and they come and take whatever rubbish I have, they charge €8, which includes loading it on the lorry and sweeping up afterwards or if I wait till the first Tuesday of the month it's free. There is also a "depot" I can take all kinds of waste/rubbish to.

Our rates equate to about £250 per year which now includes the television licence and we have no road fund tax.

realist 22:34 25 Aug 2006

Vive la France!

anskyber 22:49 25 Aug 2006

At the root of it all is the starting point for refuse collection. Current policy (no this is not a party political point) is to maximise recycling. To do that the collection authority (districts in many areas) have to "pay" the disposal authority (usually county councils) to get rid of the waste they collect.

The underlying aim therefore is to make it as difficult or expensive to tip rubbish at approved sites. County Council have to pay a "landfill tax". All of this is meant to make all of us recycle more rubbish.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Converse's new logo: the trainer brand looks to its heritage for a fresh identity

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment lancer Windows 10 en mode sans échec ?