Llanwern Steel Works To Close

crosstrainer 14:27 26 Jan 2009

As Tata plan 3000 redundancies. I suspect that many of these will be at the Port Talbot plant as well. Bad news for Wales.

The Brigadier 15:18 26 Jan 2009

More companies will close down over the coming weeks & months sadly.

Cymro. 15:27 26 Jan 2009

click here

The above link may be of help.

crosstrainer 15:38 26 Jan 2009

Just heard the details on the news, as feared :(

Noldi 18:15 26 Jan 2009

Where did it all go so wrong? Britain made the best steel not so long ago.

Noldi

Forum Editor 19:00 26 Jan 2009

"Where did it all go so wrong?"

It's complicated - foreign competition, union disputes resulting in lost production and lost orders, declining manufacturing industries, and so on.

Now the demand for steel has fallen because of the economic situation - Corus has seen its order book shrink by a third. I know the Llanwern steelworks quite well, I went there on many occasions at one point in my life, and was always impressed by the atmosphere amongst the workforce - there was a lot of loyalty and affection for the place.

Noldi 20:03 26 Jan 2009

When I started out in Engineering in the 70s I still rember my first day and being told always us British steel its the best money can buy. But I supose the car industries etc dont care to much about quality of the raw steel any more.

Then reading this article today click here makes me wonder, why cant they keep these contracts with the pound so chaep.

England is or was engineering no mater where you travel or work around the world you always find British engineers, But then the reason im an expat is because companys will offer good British engineers good incentives to leave the home land which is sad because we have no incentives to stay at home.

Noldi

perpetual motion 00:00 27 Jan 2009

A very sad day indeed in total "70.000" jobs lost globaly TODAY.?

One thing i picked up on is this:

"Core technical and engineering staff will be kept on so they can restart it when the economy picks up" BUT what happens "IF" this last years will they STILL keep it afloat at a loss..?

ITs such a hard time for us all now, My daughter leaves school in 4 months & although she's doing great she is fixated at doing Art but there isnt anything out there? There just is the job centre im worried for her..

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

Photoshop CC 2018 released with new Curvature Pen and better brush tools

Camera tips to take better iPhone photos

Les meilleures applications de covoiturage 2017