Living in Spain what happens now.

Govan1x 10:42 26 Jun 2016
Answered

I have two in laws who stay in Spain one has rented for the last 5 years and the other has bought a house there within the last year.

The problem as I see it now is that both will have to leave now or do they have the right to stay. I fear not but can anyone say one way or another what they have to do now.

Is it a case of selling the house and having to move back home.

I suppose there will be thousands of others in the same situation needing answers.

daz60 11:00 26 Jun 2016

I have a sister in law working in this country and at the moment the uncertainty regarding her working rights is worrying her tremendously,the sterling situation will balance out but will she be allowed to stay ? will she need a visa and work permit ?.

These are some of the questions that SHOULD have been answered before Brexit.To forestall any uncertainty both sides should have planned for either contingency but No plan B from the GOV and apparently no plan at all from the outers.

Govan1x 12:01 26 Jun 2016

daz60

I would think your Sister in law would stand a good chance of staying.

Not sure if I heard right but heard that the UK could ask them all to leave but it would be up to them whether they went or stayed.

I could of course be wrong with that as I have no idea as to who said it.

Govan1x 12:07 26 Jun 2016

My 2 in laws are both pensioners so do not work and just wanted somewhere nice to retire to.

Like you say worrying times for everyone whether living in England or those living in Europe.

I did here that if you declare yourself as a resident in those European countries you have a far better chance of staying. Not sure if that is true or not.

wee eddie 12:23 26 Jun 2016

For the while nothing should change until the whole thing has been unpicked.

However, Medical Agreements are likely to be the first changes to affect them and they may have to start paying full price for their treatments.

As many Countries welcome Foreign Currency Inputs they will probably be able to carryon living there with only minimal form filling

polymath 12:24 26 Jun 2016

As a Brit living in the R.O.I., it'll be interesting to see how it's going to work (e.g. the effect of suddenly being from outside the EU).

We can be reassured though by (forget which UK P olitician) stressing that there's no need for immediate panic. :-)

john bunyan 15:06 26 Jun 2016

Quite a few UK citizens in good jobs in, for example, Germany are applying for citizenship. If people want to enjoy all the benefits of their new country, maybe they will have to choose that route. In any event all this is a couple of years away as article 50 is not yet triggered . I read that the French "Highway Patrol" , who were being lenient to British motorists, are now being strict! The Entente is not as Cordiale.

Forum Editor 18:31 26 Jun 2016

Don't forget that there are lots of EU citizens living here who will be just as anxious about their future status.

It seems likely that agreement will be reached on this, but what the terms might be is anyone's guess. I'm sure that all countries involved will want to see their citizens left where they are, if they wish to stay, but there will undoubtedly be administrative fences to jump.

morddwyd 19:00 26 Jun 2016

Yet more scaremongering nonsense.

There are lots of non -EU nationals living and working in Spain, and elsewhere, and have been for some time, without any problems, just as many Brits loved and worked in Spain, and elsewhere, before we joined the EU.

The EU has not suddenly become like Nazi Germany, from which it is necessary to flee.

Govan1x 19:09 26 Jun 2016

I was toying with the idea of moving out there myself. So bought my first passport and went out for three weeks and loved it.

Unfortunately my wife decided that she did not want to go any more and it was her choice in the first place.

So have to stick with the poor weather that we have here.

I would imagine that a some of Brits might pack up and come home if they now have to pay for hospital treatment.

I must admit those with steady jobs here should be allowed to stay if they so wished but the roaming has to stop we are full up.

I think in theory roaming is a good idea but all it does is bring in cheap labour not just here but to the rest of Europe.

So it usually works out that the rich get richer and you know what happens to the poor.

Is roaming just a ploy to get cheap labour all over Europe.

Forum Editor 19:35 26 Jun 2016

morddwyd

"Yet more scaremongering nonsense."

Indeed, and to hear some people talk you would think we were at war with Europe.

Regardless of our exit, we will want to continue to trade with EU countries, and they will want to trade with us. It will happen, as sure as the sun rises each day. Commercial considerations will outweigh petty posturing in the end.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?