Live Webcam advice please

Colonel Graham 00:34 22 Jul 2011

I'm looking to use a webcam to stimulate interest in the cats and kittens we have for adoption. If we could present a live picture option, that may stimulate interest.

I've looked at http://danzadogs.camstreams.com/ for example but the resolution is too low for purpose.

Windows Live is an option, but would require the download of the program.

Any help, please?

Nontek 06:56 22 Jul 2011

I have never used this, but it might help get you started ....

http://www.microsoft.com/expression/products/EncoderPro_Overview.aspx

interzone55 08:34 22 Jul 2011

I deal with similar requests all day at work, and the simple answer is that with current technology it's very difficult to offer a live video stream on a domestic broadband connection.

A live (25fps) VGA video using H264 compression (same as Blu-ray and fairly standard for CCTV) will give you a very good clear image, but will use around 500kbps of bandwidth, which is higher than the upload bandwidth of most ADSL connections. Dropping the frame rate will help, but will provide a very jerky image.

What we normally recommend for people who want to show building sites or weather conditions is to set a camera to drop an image onto a webpage every 15 minutes or so, but your situation is different.

What I would recommend is to produce a short film clip for each kitten and upload them separately with a thumbnail image so visitors can see each cat in "real life" so to speak.

Aitchbee 11:26 22 Jul 2011

alan14 - your advice is welcome to me also as I hope to set up a website for showing stills, but video and audio playbacks might feature on my website too.

Colonel Graham 15:14 22 Jul 2011

Those puppy's are having a whale of a time.

I'm going to sign up with Camstreams and also use Windows Live Messenger. Watch this space.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?