"Live" Broadcasts.

morddwyd 08:24 11 Sep 2010

I recently saw a listing for a "live" broadcast, but since it was on at two in the morning, from Europe, I was intrigued and looked for a bit more detail.

It turned out to be a "live recording".

Now surely this is a false trade description?

When I tune into a live broadcast, like the Proms, I expect to see a live broadcast, not a "live recording".

After all, every recording is "live" in the final analysis.

BT 08:35 11 Sep 2010

Its something you see quite a lot on recorded music. "Recorded Live"
As you say every recording has to have been recorded 'Live'. What is often meant is that it has been recorded at a 'Live' event such as a concert as opposed to in a studio.

morddwyd 08:43 11 Sep 2010

I agree, and if you buy a cd/dvd "recorded live" you know what you are buying, and it won't be studio quality, but will have lots of atmosphere.

Not quite the same as a "live" broadcast though.

wiz-king 09:25 11 Sep 2010

A bit like the TV programs that aren't repeats - just been shown on another channel.

jack 09:37 11 Sep 2010

A perfectly plain description and trying to make some thing more saleable.
Live means purleyly broadcast as it happens.
Seldom happens now if ever.
Even 'Live' concerts are broadcast with a deliberate delay to cover for 'unexpected events'.
As BT says recorded live at a public event as opposed to a studio session-
However it is also often represented as in total/ unedited- and this is seldom the case.

Quickbeam 10:43 11 Sep 2010

Top of the Pops used to make good use of that word play. But when I buy a music album, say The Who 'Live in Leeds', or Rory Gallagher's 'Live in Europe there is no confusion whatsoever... I don't expect them to appear in my house.

morddwyd 11:10 11 Sep 2010

As I said, if you buy a "live recording" you know exactly what you are getting.

A live broadcast is somewhat different.

The Last Night of the Proms tonight is listed as "live" and everybody expects that what it will be.

On the other hand, Last Night of the Proms at 9.15 tomorrow morning is "coverage" and not live.

morddwyd 11:46 11 Sep 2010

Like fourm member says, it does also require some common sense.

My local pub advertises "Live Premiership Football" but I don't expect to see Man United cavorting round the beer garden.

Kevscar1 12:32 11 Sep 2010

morddwyd
but you might see Wayne Rooney cavorting

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?