Lioyds phisher

newman35 08:30 22 Oct 2008

Got a message telling me I must update my details with Lloyds (or else!!). Not that I even bank with Lloyds, anyway.
Before binning I had a look at the address it came from and after the '@' sign was 'costumer.update.com'. Found this mildly amusing.

The other 'clue' was using the term "esteemed customers" in the text - would a bank really still refer to us as 'esteemed'?? I think not, unless they were possibly of Nigerian extraction that is.

Bingalau 10:08 22 Oct 2008

Yes, I got that about a month ago and referrred it to Lloydstsb.

WhiteTruckMan 10:10 22 Oct 2008

dumb enough to still be falling for this?

WTM

Belatucadrus 11:17 22 Oct 2008

Yep.

Also the one about that poor African chap who can't spell and so desperately needs your help in shifting his honestly gained billions away from the villainous local government.

spuds 11:27 22 Oct 2008

Lloyds, Halifax,Bank of America, Wells Fargo,you mention any bank and someone somewhere will have no doubt had a 'you must update your account' email.

Ebay ones are worrying me, they are beginning to look very genuine 'o)

newman35 13:37 22 Oct 2008

I don't care what they look like, I would never reply to any finance email wih ANY DETAILS, regardless of what was asked/promised/threatened.

spuds 16:30 22 Oct 2008

A very wise decision.

Here's a couple of anti-phising sites, worthy of a browse. click here click here

Stuartli 20:12 22 Oct 2008

Any financial institution will make it very clear that any contact made by e-mail never request personal banking or other details to be made available.

Stuartli 20:13 22 Oct 2008

Any financial institution will make it very clear that any contact made by e-mail never request personal banking or other details to be made available.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?