Light bulbs

carver 08:24 09 Mar 2009

I know that every now and again people have commented about energy saving bulbs and how they don't like them, well try these
click here

click here

They are an alternative to "normal" energy saving bulbs, difference being you get instant light and a more natural light.

I've been using them for a couple of months and they are the same as any ordinary bulb only cheaper to run and you don't have to wait for them to warm up.

Quickbeam 08:47 09 Mar 2009

Since January, we've been reduced to using these on 5 occasions click here :) Maybe living the retro feel of the '70s will be a regular thing this year:(

anchor 08:51 09 Mar 2009

I have not seen one of these bulbs working, so cannot comment on the type of light. However, they are certainly more expensive to buy, so surely this would cancel out any saving in power costs.

MaxUpload 13:25 09 Mar 2009

One of the local electrical wholesalers had a promotion on halogen lamps recently.

Their blurb included the usual "save energy/save money" stuff so I had a look.

My wife is a keen Ikea shopper so the majority of our table lamps are screw fitting - click here - fitted the bill nicely.

I bought ten of these lamps admittedly not quite as cheap as those in my link but close.

I suppose you have to look a little deeper into the claims of energy/cost saving.

The lamps I bought were the 28w flavour giving an equivalent output of 40w when compared with a standard tungsten lamp hence an energy saving of some 30%.

Simple mathematics would show that if this lamp were burned at an average of say five hours a day then it would take only six months to pay for itself.Multiply that by the six we have in regular use and I suppose the savings would be noticeable.

But there again the difficulties as always arise when you look at installing them in standard light fittings and the problem of finding and installing screw type fittings to accommodate them.

T0SH 14:41 09 Mar 2009

This site has about the best range of energy saving lamps I have come across to date

click here

Cheers HC

interzone55 15:41 09 Mar 2009

I've got a couple of halogen lamps around the house and they give good light, and use a tiny amount of power.

I suppose the only problem is that as they're low voltage, you have to have a power brick or a heavy base containing a transformer.

My desk lamp broke a couple of weeks ago, and I replaced it with one of these
click here|category_root|Home+and+furniture|12107022/c_2/2|cat_12107022|Lighting|12107300.htm
It's just as bright as a 12w halogen, but only pulls a shade over 0.5w. I really think that LED is the way forward.

If you want to keep your existing fittings, and need a very bright light then try these
click here

Stuartli 15:54 09 Mar 2009

carver's second link includes AC power supply halogen lamps.

carver 16:50 09 Mar 2009

The reason I posted the link is for the simple fact that they look and give the same amount of light as a standard bulb, even though they are slightly dearer the cost isn't outrageous, and they run at a lower wattage.

Sainsbury do these bulbs and a pack of 3 candle bulbs is about £3.40, not some thing that will break the bank. (maybe thats not the correct term to use now)

jack 17:36 09 Mar 2009

My goodness what a a lot
I trotted off to Argos and got my self one of the father and Son up lighter/reading lamp
Full main Halogen with twin dimmer switches

Brilliant [or dim as you will] ;-}

peter99co 18:00 09 Mar 2009

Glad to see you are still passing advice about the SUN Bulbs. My are still in use now and have been used for a long time. I cannot remember when I installed them. The wife reads every evening using one.

We have also bought LED lamps. Clip on bracket, flexible head with 18 leds drawing 18 watts.

Stuartli 18:36 09 Mar 2009

The Audi LED headlights, sidelights etc certainly provide an already striking range of cars with some imposing illumination displays.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Illustrator Sylvain Tegroeg created thousands of intricate line drawings for the mobile game…

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment télécharger une application indisponible en France ?