Life as we know it

oresome 15:02 02 Feb 2009

Seems to be being questioned at the moment.

Yesterday I highlighted a report saying we should limit families to two children.

Now the way we are raising those children is coming under scrutiny and if the criticisms are heeded, could have a serious impact on the UK's economic prosperity.

To me, the problem with this type of report is that on the one hand, initiatives are advocated that cost money to implement and on the other, it wants parents to work less and apend more time on rearing their children.

Where does the money come from?

I don't disagree with many of the findings as to why we have these social problems and as a society and as individuals we have to strike a balance between economic prosperity and social well being. But we can't expect the state to fund Youth Centres, free parenting classes, free psychological and family support and all the rest if we don't have individuals who aggressively persue success and pay their taxes.

click here

Forum Editor 16:20 02 Feb 2009

is that people have the time to spend on examining us and the way we live in minute detail. Developing nations worry about clean water supplies, and reliable electricity distribution,and road networks, etc.

The way we regard child rearing is important because the future success of the UK depends on having a healthy, well adjusted, well educated generation of people ready to assume the reponsibility of regulating and running society. Payback time is measured in decades, and a degree of vision is called for - both on the part of successive governments and parents - if we are to succeed in turning out happy, healthy people.

Where does the money come from? From us of course, which is where the vision part comes in. We should all want the best possible social and physical environment for our children and for their children, but these things don't come easily or cheaply.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone