Life is not all that bad on the back benches

jakimo 13:15 19 Feb 2011

for ex PM Gordon Brown,he hasn't had to economize on being demoted,quite the reverse now hes joined the Blair gravy train.
click here

jakimo 13:17 19 Feb 2011

My mistake,should have been in Speakers' Corner

finerty 15:06 19 Feb 2011

as the MP's always say Hear Hear and more hear hear

Strawballs 10:27 20 Feb 2011

Of course you would turn down a job that offered you that kind of deal because I know I wouldn't.

It's not like it is coming out of british tax payers money and I bet if you looked into it properly all the ex PM's like Thatcher and Major all did similar things.

spuds 11:23 20 Feb 2011

When people take these type of jobs, its usually a case of having a good 'contact' diary for later reference.

I wonder how many MP's now have positions within industry that they once considered a no-no?.

Forum Editor 11:34 20 Feb 2011

from Consumerwatch.

Strawballs 17:57 20 Feb 2011

They can join all the Tory ministers from the 80's and 90's that ended up on the boards of the public utilities companies they helped to privatise!

john 52 18:43 20 Feb 2011

Very true spider9

CurlyWhirly 22:33 21 Feb 2011

I can remember Gordon Brown saying that he would concentrate on charity work if kicked out of office.

Yet another promise broken.

Strawballs 22:45 21 Feb 2011

How do you know he is not doing charity work as well these roles as guest speaker can't take up that much time.

morddwyd 09:18 22 Feb 2011

"how many MP's now have positions within industry that they once considered a no-no?."

It's not just politicians.

I can remember a meeting where I was an advisor to a senior officer in negotiations with a majoe British company trying to get a defence contract.

At the next meeting he was on the opposite side of the table as a company negotiator, and every argument my new principal put forward based on the planned strategy was, of course, cleverly countered by the company.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: University of the West of England (UWE)

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Les meilleures GoPro 2017