Is life equitable?

newman35 18:34 15 Jan 2009

click here

So it seems that we taxpayers will again be picking up the tabs for the investments lost in Equitable Life.
When will our pockets be empty?

canarieslover 18:39 15 Jan 2009

Too late to ask when. They are not only empty already but it seems that they will never be full again as we are being committed to larger amounts of debt as each day passes.

Stuartli 18:43 15 Jan 2009

Apparently the financial services regulator and the then Government knew some time ago that this company was in difficulties, yet did little or nothing to minimise the potential for problems until it was too late.

Therefore the Government has some responsibility for the eventual outcome - it seems Yvette Cooper has apologised, according to the brief mention I caught on this afternoon's news.

oresome 18:52 15 Jan 2009

My mortgage endowment pays out this year and will fall short.

I've just turned 60 and equity values have slumped and annuities are at an all time low, so not the best time to take out a pension.

My savings income has crashed.

Now I'm expected to finance others with mortgages, those that want to buy cars, those that save money in dodgy banks and now those that invested in schemes that offered rates that were too good to be true at the time.

GANDALF <|:-)> 19:16 15 Jan 2009

I'm with Oresome on this. I feel that I am paying for everyone in this country and getting naff all in return apart from a lot less interest.

Would Gordon Clown and his bunch of Beakers care to pay me for the number of times that I bought shares and lost money or stuck 50 squid on the nose of some hapless nag that is still running? Personally I would have been better off getting pregnant at 15, racking up my credit card debts to the GDP of Malta, getting a totally unpayable mortgage

G

GANDALF <|:-)> 19:22 15 Jan 2009

...and apparently I am now to subsidise the ruddy car industry as well as the banks, the jobless, the skint companies and stab me vitals, a 3 week jamboree in 2012. I might as well cough up for that Kaka player who Man. City want to buy, as I am being financially rogered to within an inch of my wallet.
Buddy, can you spare a dime?

G

newman35 19:25 15 Jan 2009

Yes, I also feel that everyone who has suffered any kind of financial misjudgement (except myself, of course) can come and pick my pockets. Much though I feel for the Equitable 'losers', I think there are far better things for the government to spend my hard-earned on.

Bapou 19:29 15 Jan 2009

Some things are priceless and your second response is one of them. Loved it!

Look out Richard Littlejohn.

newman35 19:30 15 Jan 2009

I can but admire your munifiscence, I'm sure the car-makers, banks and jobless will make sure you win a gold medal in 2012. (:-0)

caccy 19:31 15 Jan 2009

Could it be that some parts of the Civil Service were encouraged to use them for their AVC's has something to do with it!!
Or am I just being cynical?

interzone55 08:57 16 Jan 2009

Back to Equitable.

The miserable bugger who appeared on Chris Evan's show last night didn't do anything to endear anyone to his plight...

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?