Life is emotional trauma

smartpoly 12:00 11 Feb 2010

Valentine day cards banned because it may cause children emotional trauma.

click here

What next? Why not just pack kids in boxes untill they are adults??

donki 12:38 11 Feb 2010

What a load of brown, its like banning Christmas because some kids gets a better Christmas presents than others. Unfortuneately thats how life is.

Emotional trauma? Is bullying not still rife in some schools, maybe working on reducing it would be more benificial.

Forum Editor 17:20 11 Feb 2010

one of which is neatly summed up by the spokesman for North Somerset Council. He said:

"Ashcombe is a primary school and they believe that children under the age of 11 are still emotionally and socially developing and therefore cards declaring love can be confusing.
Any families wishing to send cards are asked to send them in the post or deliver to home addresses by hand."

and then there's Anne Widdecombe's view, which is:

"It's only a bit of fun once a year and it doesn't mean anything to kids that age.
I just think it is rather silly. Haven't they anything better to worry about at that school?"

If I imagine myself as a judge, having to make a decision to support one view or the other, with no compromises, I would have to rule in favour of North Somerset Council. Primary school children are far too young to start exchanging Valentine's cards in school, and those who don't get any are far too young to be subjected to rejection by the opposite sex; time enough for that when they reach their teens. We're chipping away at the concept of a relatively innocent and carefree childhood all the time, and no good can come of it.

oresome 17:29 11 Feb 2010

"If I imagine myself as a judge, having to make a decision to support one view or the other..."

Now imagine yourself as an MP that needs the populist vote. Do you still come up with the same decision?

jimv7 17:42 11 Feb 2010

"Sikhs should be allowed to wear their ceremonial daggers - known as Kirpans - to school"

But Valentine cards are not allowed.

I know which I would ban.

donki 18:51 11 Feb 2010

However did I survive not recieving a Valentine's card when I was in Primary school.

FE

U state "We're chipping away at the concept of a relatively innocent and carefree childhood all the time, and no good can come of it." By taking away of things such as Valentine's card are we not taking away the very childhood itself?

In my old Primary school I have heard or conkers, kiss catch (personal favourite), yoyo's and many other things all being banned. In my opinion its absolute supidity and trying to wrap kids up in cotton wool.

morddwyd 20:06 11 Feb 2010

I didn't get a Valentine card one year when I was in primary school (and lots of years since, but that's another story!) and I was dreadfully traumatised and upset.

Until about five minutes later when somebody turned up with a football.

Barnacarry 20:36 11 Feb 2010

Oh dear! I can't remember primary school and have hazy memories of the next school, whatever it was called, but valentines cards? Remind me again, when were they invented?

oresome 20:54 11 Feb 2010

Not only did I not get a Valentine card, the other boys wouldn't let me play football!

jakimo 06:29 12 Feb 2010

Musical chairs have been banned in primary schools because of the disappointment caused by losing

zzzz999 06:38 12 Feb 2010

How can children emotionally develop if we do not allow them to experience the full gambit of emotions. We seem determined to present a 'sugar and spaice and all things nice' world to children making them completely incapable of dealing with the real world. You only have to look at the 'kill all germs' campaigns resulting in children living in santised clean bubbles and poorer immune responses; very similar state of affairs in my book.

If I were to make judgement on this case I would sack the entire top tier of educational management for their gross stupidity.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?