Licence to smoke

Marko797 17:02 16 Feb 2008

Yet another example of how bizarre we have become in this country. click here

Proposals to introduce a smoking permit complete with photo of the 'offender' at £10/yr.

Whatever next??

Jak_1 17:06 16 Feb 2008

Must be April the 1st!

Monoux 17:14 16 Feb 2008

Apparently supposed act as an ID that you are over 18 and therefore allowed to buy tobacco products.
Already seen thoughts expressed on Teletext that the database created could be used to exclude smokers from receiving NHS treatment.
Other sources say the money raised would be spent on the NHS.
I remember the same being said that road fund license money would be pent on the roads. Another joke
Just another stealth tax as far as I can see.

lisa02 17:17 16 Feb 2008

Sounds good to me.

Jak_1 17:29 16 Feb 2008

By the same standards the it should also apply to alcohol.

lisa02, are you serious! All it would succeed in doing is increasing the ammount of contraband already widely availlable thereby reducing further the revenue collected fro legitimate tobacco sales leadng to an increase in Your income tax!

cycoze 17:31 16 Feb 2008

"Forcing smokers to apply for a £10 permit to buy cigarettes could help people to quit, a government health adviser said."

To someone smoking 40 a day that annual payment is hardly going to make them quit is it ! smokers pay enough in tax already, this is just silly.

Monoux, i had not heard about the "database created could be used to exclude smokers from receiving NHS treatment." another daft idea.

If your going to ban it then ban it, non smokers are not going to mind paying the extra tax to cover the lost revenue from smokers, it cant be that much can it, i realise it will run to many millions pa, but then it will be for the good of all people, healthier for the smoker, financially better for the smoker, less of a burden on the NHS etc etc

lisa02 17:35 16 Feb 2008

I'm not serious Jak_1 my gripe with smokers was fixed with the indoor smoking ban. So you can all smoke to yer heart's content.

Oh you mean another increase in Income Tax for us low earner families?

Ah that's ok then.

octal 17:37 16 Feb 2008

Couldn't care less personally because I don't smoke, but I can understand smokers getting upset about this one, yet another discriminatory measure against them. It will be alcohol next.

It would be a good idea if it stops under age smoking but it won't, they will just get someone who is over 18 to buy them instead.

Jak_1 20:35 16 Feb 2008

It was also in the Daily Mirror:

click here

What next, a permit to to buy booze, a permit to to buy high fat content food, a permit to a host of other hazardous things that are on open sale that are in daily use even a permit to live I dare say! He wants his bumps feeling.

WhiteTruckMan 22:45 16 Feb 2008

a permit to have children might not be a bad idea under some circumstances...

WTM

Jak_1 22:47 16 Feb 2008

rofl

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: University of the West of England (UWE)

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Les meilleures GoPro 2017