Library closure hypocrisy.

robgf 00:03 07 Feb 2011

There is currently a campaign to save my local library, headed by some very vocal activists, who want to borrow all the library books to prevent closure and have demonstration outside. There are also several petitions do the rounds.

I was pestered to sign the petition several times, when I visited the library this Saturday. And verbally abused when I refused. I pointed out that hardly anybody uses the library and although I would be sad to see it go, if cuts must be made, it is a sensible choice.

My point is, if all these campaigners are so keen to save the library, why don't they use it, bunch of hypocrites.

DippyGirl 00:21 07 Feb 2011

<devils advocate>
Do you know they dont?
</>
Wider perspective - do you not feel it is inappropriate to close libraries?
For me the cost of a library and its potential to deliver knowledge to a society that gives its young people an ever declining education (all be it with more and better graded certificates ) - if they chose not to use it - so be it.
If you need to cut something let it not be "the way forward, the way out"...
I will be forever thankful for my local library...for me it had books - now-a-days its computer but the concept is the same
To shut them down is short sighted

jakimo 00:56 07 Feb 2011

"the way forward, the way out"...
What in your opinion would that be?

robgf 00:57 07 Feb 2011

"<devils advocate>
Do you know they dont?
</>"

The petition I saw, had over seven hundred names on it (so the lady claimed). The library has a sign with "The library served X amount of customers last week" in the foyer. The number is usually around the two hundred mark.

I would prefer that the council didn't close the library, but it must be better to lose something that is rarely used.

My library is a reasonable size, but if there is more than four customers, I think there is a rush on :).
They lost most of the old timers, which were a big part of the customer base, when the automated check in/out system was set up. They just couldn't get the hang of it. Mind you, it does go wrong a lot.
There was a brief increase in customers when computers appeared, but that dwindled as almost everybody got them at home.

DippyGirl 01:18 07 Feb 2011

Ok this is pre-WWW. Escape was through a better education (not just a collection of certificates - as now)
My local library was THE source of knowledge. Schools werent open at weekends. We didnt have alot of ref. material at home. To study there had to be a source of reference material. That was my local library ( they also had a great fiction section which I could read at zero cost - to me-)
This may be out dated/miss-guided but if you have a local asset why let it go?
For me this is deep-seated. If libraries go society is lessened. (but I may just be flying kites)

Bottom line is that knowledge is what counts (or is power some would say).
Libraries are a source (and quite cheap) of knowledge - for me that should be maintained - if possible.
The people who can benefit should be encouraged to use them.
The people who dont need them probably wont miss them
Some will only notice when its too late

DippyGirl 01:24 07 Feb 2011

It seems to be a common pattern
I know tha there were alot of "lets book out all the books" type protests, that helped raise the profile of libraries.

Like the forests once they are sold - they are gone. It is going to be difficult - or impossible to get them back.

But Hey!
Maybe its not a problem ...
Maybe books are no longer important.
If that's so (for me) it's a sad day

robgf 02:28 07 Feb 2011

I think it is one of those irreversible trends, youngsters are generally computer orientated, so libraries are used less and less until they disappear. And as you say, once they are gone, it's unlikely they will return. Although on-line libraries may appear (but it wont be the same).

It's rather like butchers, bakers, grocers, etc. Everybody says how wonderful they are and how we must keep them. And then we all go to Tescos..........

Quickbeam 07:33 07 Feb 2011

"And then we all go to Tescos.........."
Sadly that is the case. I take my hat off to you for not jumping on the attention bandwagon.

We're going to lose 14 out of 26 libraries, I do use the small local one, but not regularly. When I do there's about two people in it, thirty years or more ago it was buzzing, so maybe we do have to reappraise the value of small local libraries.

canarieslover 09:22 07 Feb 2011

As a Kindle advocate I should think it won't bother him too greatly, but I could be wrong! Personally I have not been in a public library for at least twenty years so I won't miss the loss of our local library. My wife is a chronic Mills & Boon reader but even she has not used the facilities for at least ten years as she prefers to support charity shops by buying books from them and then re-donating when she has read them. I hate to think what a major uptake of Kindle will do to the charity shops.

Chegs ®™ 09:25 07 Feb 2011

I still use the local library as I refuse to buy anymore Haynes car repair manuals,for two reasons a)my cars are generally more reliable and b)the cost of one for use maybe once every few years is poor value.I don't like the modern electronic method of booking out books(there is an self-service point that refuses to work for me)and the Library Assistant always has to serve me.When they closed the smaller libraries around the town,we got a mobile library in their place which apparently calls at various villages but I've only ever seen it parked up behind the main library or returning from somewhere occasionally.I maybe should use it more often than I do(I was banned from all lessons for the last few years school & had to spend the school day in the library,where I learnt from books anything that interested me)but I now use the internet for research into subjects that interest me.

Quickbeam 09:29 07 Feb 2011

In this day and age the original concept of libraries providing access for the underprivileged to learning is maybe a bygone ideal. Today's underprivileged just want more benefit money to keep their Sky subscriptions going.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?