Lewis Hamilton suffers racial abuse

Legolas 18:43 04 Feb 2008

I have just watched the news concerning the racial abuse suffered by Lewis Hamilton at the Circuit de Catalunya in Barcelona.

I find this very very distasteful and totally unacceptable. It was quite clearly a premeditated action and cannot be tolerated either in society or in sport.

The powers that be are threatening to drop the Spanish grand Prix if this happens again or if steps are not taken to prevent another occurrence.

I have a certain sympathy for those who govern the sport in Spain as it is very difficult to legislate for a minority of mindless idiots.

anskyber 19:20 04 Feb 2008

Regrettably Spain has a minority of so called sports fans who are racially abusive.

The England Football team was the subject of such abuse and it has also been found in their club fans.

Let's be easy though, I think it is up to the Spanish authorities to respond accordingly, otherwise a sharp lesson may be required.

Noldi 19:52 04 Feb 2008

click here
Its a shame the minority get the publicity and not the real fans who attend every Spainish test and Race rain or shine.

Noldi

polish 22:49 04 Feb 2008

its a shame i thought this didnt happen in motorsport
i was at the british gp all weekend and there wasnt an ounce of trouble or abuse there was 90,000+ on the sunday with people supporting different teams and drivers next to each other

Strawballs 23:45 04 Feb 2008

A touch of sour grpes from a small number of the spanish fans of a certain spanish driver me thinks!

Totally-braindead 23:54 04 Feb 2008

I agree with Strawballs in that I think that was their motivation behind it.

This sort of behaviour is not on regardless of what motivates them however.

If I had anything to do with it I would have got the Police involved, got their names and addresses and taken steps to ensure those involved were banned for life from attending any F1 race.

And if I was Alonso and saw my so called fans doing this I would be speaking out against them, last thing I would want is people representing me as some sort of racist.

Kemistri 23:57 04 Feb 2008

He is not known for speaking out against his own fans. He would much rather speak out against someone who was paying him an enormous amount of money to win the WDC....

Noldi 06:18 05 Feb 2008

I agree Alonso is the man who could say something that would be heard, maybe he will speak out against these people but because he is only doing Press releases through the Spanish media at present that will not happen, wait till the next test when the Worlds media get chance to speak with him. They have another 3 tests in Spain before the first race lets see what happens or if this rumbles on to Melbourne.

Noldi

Legolas 12:54 05 Feb 2008

I agree with all thats been said. It was certainly a group of Alonso fans that were being abusive and it would go a long way to uping Alonso's Kudos in my eyes were he to come out and condemn those to involved, alas I somehow don't see this happening although I would be delighted to be proved wrong.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?