A letter from a stranger -what is your response?

jack 20:05 05 Sep 2007

This morning post brought a letter in a shaky hand on cheap paper and envelope and a 1st class stamp.

It contained a brief note from an individual I do not knows and 2 b/w snapshots of my wiife and I out side the church on our wedding day 50 years ago.
In it the writer explained that a guest who was one of my crowd, but I had not seen virtually since that day, died three years , ago and before dieing passed on the photo's and our detail.
I am quite sure my old friend had not an idea of where we were because we moved to a new town only a few months later .
So I am wondering what is this all about?
Being an arch synic I also wonder is this the beginning of some sort of sting.
What do you think
Ignore or let curiosty get the better of me?

Clapton is God 20:14 05 Sep 2007

Ignore, keep the letter and contents safe (preserve for finger prints of the sender) and await developments.

oresome 20:16 05 Sep 2007

I would take it as genuine and make contact.

just send a reply thanking them and thats it..my father had a simular experience where he had photos from somebody he didnt know, after someone passed away.it was genuine.if they are not asking for something in return i would be glad for the memories of the photos which would otherwise be lost.yes take a little caution but dont over do it :) kind regards akanic

Spark6 20:32 05 Sep 2007

In this sort of situation I believe it is best to do something positive, what have you got to lose, the sender has your name and address after all.

I would contact the sender, you have his address I assume, to update your knowledge of your wedding guest. Otherwise, your doubts are likely to niggle away at you for some time.

spuds 23:01 05 Sep 2007

Sounds innocent enough. If the sender gave a name and address, contact their town's local electoral registrar and see if the sender is registered on the voters list. If it comes up genuine, then send a letter of thanks.

Forum Editor 23:20 05 Sep 2007

of how this could be a 'sting', and even if it is, you're ready for it, aren't you?

Maybe you've watched one crime film too many?

jack 08:13 06 Sep 2007

Well there you all are such diverse opinion.
But yes I am now aware- so an appreciate response would not go amiss.
Thank you all

wee eddie 08:41 06 Sep 2007

a Post Card saying, Thank you and wishing them well, should be the minimum.

You do not normally put a return address on a Post Card.

If you want to make it quite easy for them to get in touch. Use a Picture Card of your locality.

oresome 13:11 06 Sep 2007

jack's address is already known to the sender of the photos which is one of the issues puzzling him, if I've read the thread correctly.

GANDALF <|:-)> 13:14 06 Sep 2007

Not wishing to lower the tone but I would be writing back post-haste and enquiring after the contents of the will ;-))

G

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?