Let there be levity

Apron 07:10 17 Dec 2006

I spent the evening playing the piano (not well but with spirit) for a regular sing along at our village retirement home. For some time I have wondered how it is that they still want the same songs as their parents wanted.
When will this change? Can we soon expect a generation of chair bound old rockers waving their arms in the air and singing Led Zeppelin or have you learned the words to 'There's a Little Brown Path'in readiness?

Watchful 07:17 17 Dec 2006

I expect I shall want to hear the songs that struck a chord with me in my youth, sprinkled with a few good oldies like 'Danny Boy' and some meaningful, moving classics. Also one old hymn that my mum used to sing while doing the washing.

Apron 07:43 17 Dec 2006

I have noticed that the most popular are tear jerkers, and hymns figure prominently. danny Boy comes up every few weeks, oh dear failure to reach the money note(For I'll be 'here') makes me wince. One man has a very pleasing baritone and he ended the session last night with 'When You Come to the End of a Perfect Day', It was lovely actually. Things have got better since I have been able to print the words of lots of old songs from the web.

Bingalau 09:08 17 Dec 2006

Apron.
Well done for your efforts. I'm not in a retirement home yet and with a bit of luck may not need to be. But if I ever do end up in one then I know I will be grateful for people like you who try their best to entertain. Start practising the songs of Matt Monro and Michael Bublé. I will join in 'cos I know most of theirs at the moment, Hope the old brain remembers to remember them. ..Bingalau..

Apron 09:25 17 Dec 2006

I have to admit that I didn't offer. I visited first to have tatting lessons from one of the lovely women there. One day they were discussing an old song and there was a dispute about the tune. I took along my Mum's sheet music the next time and played it. We were still singing away 3 hours later. It is so enjoyable, we made it a regular thing. Will get busy with those Bingalau,you hum it I'll give it a go.I might be in there before you. Our village home is lovely by the way, so I have no fears.

josie mayhem 10:10 17 Dec 2006

A big part will be memory based they sang those songs along with there parents. And most have simple lyrics and a musical rythem that isn't loud or bashful...

And sometimes they don't get the opertunity to listien to other types of music (as some people think that they only like certain types) but where I work we play all sorts and have found that if you are going to go to popular now music, keep it to the slower type with out to much base (plays havoc with the hearing aids) and they enjoy that as well...

Next time you are there try some of the 60's music such as cliff richards summer holiday, and other catchy stuff you be surprised what they do enjoy.

And good on you, I wish we had some-one like you to come to our home to lighten up there evenings with a good sing along, with got the panio but sadly non of the staff can play it! we've even got a electric organ.

tony58 18:41 17 Dec 2006

"Living Doll" must be nearly 50yrs old

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:24 18 Dec 2006

At this time of year Carols must go down well?

My farther always sang one from his youth with slightly changed words -

"Hark the Herald Angles Sing"
"Mrs Simpson stole our King"

Bingalau 19:22 18 Dec 2006

I go to line dance evenings every Monday at 19.30 hrs. for about two hours non-stop dancing. Great way of us oldies keeping fit. What puzzles me is there are about fifty women and only about three or sometimes four men attending. But It is us men who seem to enjoy it the most, we sing along to it as we go, we keep going for the whole time while the women dribble off in small bunches to have a coffee or a toilet break or whatever. (Why do women go the toilet in gangs?) Oh yes! after 23 years in the Royal Marines I know some different words to songs as well but they are unrepeatable here. I think one of my next efforts must be to have a go at learning to play piano. Is there an age limit? ..Bingalau..

PurplePenny 19:29 18 Dec 2006

This was mentioned recently on some history programme. It dates from having to go outside: it was safer for women to go in groups.

You also have to remember that women chat to each other in the loo so you can carry on a conversation if you all go together.

"Is there an age limit [to learning piano]?" No! Good luck.

Kate B 19:38 18 Dec 2006

History schmistory. We go to the loo in groups to talk about blokes.

Yes, quite a bit of Cliff Richard's early oeuvre is coming up for 50 years old, and he's not happy about that because it will go out of copyright and won't be contributing to his pension pot. click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

InVision Studio takes on Adobe XD and Sketch

Camera tips to take better iPhone photos

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?