Legal challenge planned to killing off the HIPs

peter99co 15:02 20 May 2010

click here

Which way should it go?

Woolwell 15:32 20 May 2010

Interesting to read the thread in 2007 when it was introduced click here. I still stand by many of my views then.
I think the Times article has it about right click here

bremner 16:20 20 May 2010

You are correct it is interesting to look back at the views expressed in that thread with hindsight.

Having moved house last year and having to get a HIP I can say that it was complete waste of money.

My buyers never asked for it as they sensibly had all there own checks done, as I did.

That said we desperately need to change the current system of buying property in this country.

natdoor 20:26 20 May 2010

The idea of HIPS is extremely sensible and works well in other countries. Unfortunately, a full scheme was not introduced, which would have included searches etc. For sales where a potential purchase falls or where there are competing offers, several independent searches may be undertaken. Unsurprisingly, the legal profession were unhappy at the loss of revenue if only one search were necessary in all cases and campaigned successfully to render the scheme of limited value.

natdoor 20:26 20 May 2010

The idea of HIPS is extremely sensible and works well in other countries. Unfortunately, a full scheme was not introduced, which would have included searches etc. For sales where a potential purchase falls or where there are competing offers, several independent searches may be undertaken. Unsurprisingly, the legal profession were unhappy at the loss of revenue if only one search were necessary in all cases and campaigned successfully to render the scheme of limited value.

karmgord 21:53 20 May 2010

The REAL reason HIPS were introduced was for the previous government to gain information about our homes,this would be used to tax us directly or indirectly (through council tax) in the name of energy efficiency and saving the environment,NOT of course to raise revenue.

ventanas 21:58 20 May 2010

natdoor, what in earth are you talking about, searches are included with HIPs, and solicitors do not make any money out of searches, the client pays just what we are charged.
But I must admit, I am glad to see the back of them.

Forum Editor 23:35 20 May 2010

doing away with HIPS is a retrograde step.

PalaeoBill 00:42 21 May 2010

I agree with natdoor. If we had a full scheme instead of the debacle that has just been scrapped, it would have made life so much easier. Of course a full scheme would reduce work for surveyers as there would only need to be one.
I've just paid for a full structural survey and I suspect that I paid for the HIPS as well because the seller just added added it to the price.
The two previous prospective buyers paid for surveys too. The sale fell through in both cases because the buyers couldn't sell theirs. I'm told a building society surveyer also called around. So in 18 months the house I've just bought has had 4 surveys and a HIPS.
My plumber/central heating man also tells me that the energy survey is just plain wrong. He says there is no way the efficiency could be increased to the extent suggested by the survey.

Monoux 08:33 21 May 2010

According to everything I've ever read about HIPs they were worthless, people had their own surveys done anyway. In effect, just like stamp duty, a thinly disguised tax on moving home. Glad to see the back of them.

michaelw 09:10 21 May 2010

...That said we desperately need to change the current system of buying property in this country...

I couldn't agree more. The laws in Scotland can lean more towards protecting the public than the rest of the UK.

For instance the Scottish system of conveyancing has effectively eradicated most cases of gazumping and gazundering. In Scotland a seller must provide written acceptance of a successful bid. This is legally binding and is further supported by Scottish solicitors' code of practice, which forbids working for a client who is seeking other offers after a written acceptance has been made.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

Add Depth Of Field to a photo using Tilt Shift Blur in Photoshop

iPhone tips & tricks

Comment afficher des fichiers cachés sur Mac ?