Legal aid????

egapup 18:55 12 Apr 2010

The three MP's up for fraud are getting legal, you couldn't make it up. Im so mad I can hardly type.

bremner 19:00 12 Apr 2010

"The "interests of justice" test began to be phased out in January to be replaced by a means test for all Crown Court cases in England and Wales - but Southwark Crown Court is not yet part of the new scheme, so it did not apply to the MPs."

Uboat 19:03 12 Apr 2010

A double Whammy for the tax payer AGAIN! terrible there laughing at us!

peter99co 19:07 12 Apr 2010

click here

When asked after a visit to a Cheshire car plant whether MPs facing expenses charges should get legal aid, Prime Minister Gordon Brown did not answer.

However, Conservative leader David Cameron said granting legal aid to the MPs was a "complete outrage" and promised to review the system.

bremner 19:10 12 Apr 2010

The point is the system has been reviewed aand changed.

The problem is that the changes are being rolled out and it hasn't got to Southwark Crown Court yet.

Forum Editor 19:13 12 Apr 2010

you might reflect on the fact that these people are accused of something, not convicted of it, and that they are as entitled as anyone else to apply for legal aid. Until they have been proved guilty they are as innocent as you are in the eyes of the law.

Providing they meet the criteria, and presumably they have, they will get legal help, as thousands of others do. There are no financial conditions that have to be met in order to get what's called a Representation order in a Crown court, although it must be in the interests of justice that you are represented.

If you have a disposable income of more than £283 a month you will have to make five contribution payments towards the cost of your defence. If you are acquitted those payments are refunded to you. If you are convicted, and have capital of more than £30,000 you will almost certainly be required to make a contribution towards your costs.

It's always an idea to do a little thinking before knee-jerking, especially when the story you've read is in a paper like The Sun.

bremner 19:16 12 Apr 2010

As I have said the new means test you describe has yet to be introduced at Southwark Crown Court they are still using the old "interest of justice" test.

egapup 19:17 12 Apr 2010

"It's always an idea to do a little thinking before knee-jerking, especially when the story you've read is in a paper like The Sun."
Tell that to David Cameron, and I heard it on the Beeb, I dont read the Sun.

spuds 19:38 12 Apr 2010

When I hear about Legal Aid, I wonder why I often think about names like Saunder's, Maxwell et al :O(

Going back to the three plus one persons involved at present (there are more to follow perhaps!), I stated in a much earlier posting within the forum that their legal rights are within Parliament, and not a court of law. What's the betting!.

Forum Editor 20:23 12 Apr 2010

That's why I said:-

"There are no financial conditions that have to be met in order to get what's called a Representation order in a Crown court, although it must be in the interests of justice that you are represented."

Forum Editor 20:26 12 Apr 2010

Where criminal prosecutions are concerned there is no parliamentary privilege - MPs are subject to the law in the same way as anyone else.

If an MP is convicted on a criminal charge and sent to prison, he/she ceases to be an MP of course.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

iPhone X vs Samsung Galaxy Note 8

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017