Leeds's £254m trolleybus network approved

peter99co 22:00 22 Mar 2010

click here

At last they have decided to ditch the bloody trams.

Bringing back "The Green Answer to the Tram".

I could never understand why cities would want to dig up roads to install "Tracks"

I hope more cities see this as a proper way to GREEN transport.

the hick 22:23 22 Mar 2010

I presume these will run on highway, or on dedicated bus-lanes. In Caen, France, they have an interesting compromise system with seperate 'track' made of road construction, with overhead electric supply, and with the vehicles guided by a slot in the surfacing, bit like a Scalextric set. Seems a lot easier than laying steel tracks. I just think, the overhead wires look a bit unsightly - the old trams in central London had current pick-up between the rails, but liable to faults I believe.

click here

peter99co 22:41 22 Mar 2010

When I was younger we called them Trackless. They were not restricted to a route in the same way as a tram because they only need an overhead wire. Same as a tram but without all the expense of providing a track.

Nottingham has gone backwards by insisting on building tracks and upsetting all the residents and businesses along the proposed routes.

They had trams in the past and replaced them with Trollies. They had to bury all the expensive tracks under tarmac! I wonder when someone in charge of Nottingham Transport will see the light and do it all over again.

morddwyd 07:43 23 Mar 2010

I thought the British affair with trolley buses was well and truly over.

They have been tried and found wanting.

Is there another industrialised and developed country that uses them, as trams are used all over, to any great extent?

"They were not restricted to a route"

Of course they're restricted to a route - they have to go where the wire leads them, just like trams.

The only difference between them and trams is that they are not restricted to a path, and are therefore unpredictable.

Kevscar1 07:57 23 Mar 2010

Hope they have batteries for the power cuts.

Quickbeam 08:44 23 Mar 2010

Maybe Brumas can provide a picture of the proposed trolley buses...

Chegs ®™ 10:41 23 Mar 2010

I'm so glad I live in a small town with lots of steep hills thus making such vehicles unusable.

peter99co 11:18 23 Mar 2010

Have you not heard of the Isle of Man tram system.

The point is they use electricity to move and not fossil fuel. The lack of track means they use less steel in their construction.

The Trolley replaced the Tram. Not the other way round.

The trollies were replaced by Diesel powered buses and the damage done by them to the atmosphere is horrendous. Electric powered vehicles are the most sensible way forward.

peter99co 11:37 23 Mar 2010

TROLLEYBUSES AROUND THE WORLD Trolleybuses are Trolly Buses are used every day in nearly 400 cities around the world, including Vancouver, San Francisco, Geneva, Lyon, Beijing, Wellington and Moscow.

click here

Kevscar

In Rome, Trolleybuses run under overhead cables for most of their route but in the historic core of the city, where wires are not allowed, they can run from batteries until they reach the next set of overheads.

Quickbeam 13:10 23 Mar 2010

I can remember the conductor having to turn the pickup arm around when they got to the end of their route, and sometimes a driver new to the route would turn onto a road without the overhead wires, that always caused fun with the traffic:)

beeuuem 15:19 23 Mar 2010

There is a view in Edinburgh that the tram scheme is the council's revenge for the public rejecting a proposed congestion charge.

After a mere 3 years of chaos it seems likely that most of the misery will have been in vain.
click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?