LED Strip Lights Energy Saving

JYPX 18:25 30 Mar 2017

I am looking at replacing the small (530mm T5) flourescent tubes under my kitchen cabinets with LED tubes. The flourescent tube is 13W and the LED version is 6.4W.

I reckon that will be a 50% energy saving. :)

But 2 different retailers are claiming a 90% or 95% energy saving. Clearly there is some detail that I am missing. :) But what is it?

1">[click here

href

JYPX 18:30 30 Mar 2017

Apologies.....stuggling with the link

click here

Aitchbee 18:44 30 Mar 2017

Less heat [energy] is generated/wasted by the more efficient LEDs so more bangs for your buck ;o]

bremner 18:52 30 Mar 2017

Unless you have these lights on 24/7 your saving is only going to be pence per day. I would be more concerned about the quality of the light than the potential savings.

bumpkin 19:21 30 Mar 2017

As pointed out by bremner the saving will be minimal energy wise. I replaced mine with LEDs as I was fed up with the flickering and replacing tubes or starters Did the same with my main kitchen flourescents in a suspended ceiling for the same reason.

wee eddie 00:00 31 Mar 2017

The real saving comes if you start costing in the time spent on replacing spent bulbs.

I wont go through the whole rigmarole but, basically. One worker to get the bulb and insert it, another worker to get the ladder and hold it while Worker 1 climbs it and inserts the bulb, and then Worker 2 puts the ladder away. This may happen several times during the life if an LED, if you're using regular bulbs

Forum Editor 08:49 31 Mar 2017

The LED track lamps on my kitchen ceiling have a guaranteed life which equates to around 15 years of normal use for us. That's where the real cost saving comes from.

The light quality is excellent - this technology has made big advances.

Old Deuteronomy 11:13 31 Mar 2017

Can an LED tube be fitted straight into an existing lamp fitting designed for fluorescent tubes? Does the starter have to be removed?

wee eddie 11:33 31 Mar 2017

Yes, about 3 months ago I bought one in Morrison's and fitted it above the basin in my bathroom, it's working a treat

bumpkin 13:12 31 Mar 2017

Can an LED tube be fitted straight into an existing lamp fitting designed for fluorescent tubes? Does the starter have to be removed?

Yes if you buy the correct type, in my case they came with a starter which you replace the existing one with.

bumpkin 13:17 31 Mar 2017

With some you need to by-pass or remove the ballast, if buying online read the description carefully.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5T review: Hands-on

See the Best Button Badge Designs of 2017

iPhone X review

Black Friday 2017 : date, sites participants & bonnes affaires