Leagel Car Protection.

  Ex plorer 14:23 31 Mar 2013

Is it worth it for peace of mind. I am about to re-insure my car with the AA. An extra £25.99 will cover me for £50.000 for Legal Protection.

I have claimed on it before many years ago and to be honest they were not interested as the claim was to small around £400.00 car Damage.

I have been looking for an independent insurer for the same kind of cover to see if its cheaper or for £100.000 as many insures cover for this amount for similar money.

Whats your opinion. Do you think it should be part of of a Fully comprehensive cover or as an extra.

We have so many cars on the road that are uninsured, no MOT, untaxed, or we could be involved in a collision with a stolen car, people without a proper license underage drivers as well as police now suing victims from a previous thread.

  spuds 15:10 31 Mar 2013

Usually vehicle legal protection is just that, basically it is to cover you from other drivers and possible incidents, with the possibility of getting any excess payments back through the various ways, insurance companies work, including MIB.

For 'standard' legal motoring advice, then you household insurance cover, if you have any, might cover that, or alternatively your vehicle breakdown cover, if you have any, might offer advice.

When I insure our vehicles, its with a No Claims Protection added.

  woodchip 22:24 31 Mar 2013

To me its another way of ripping motorists off, as above Comprehensive insurance should cover it but it does not, fully. the above they will tell you is for such things as getting injured and recovery of excess fees that you agree to when you take out insurance

  interzone55 20:09 01 Apr 2013

The legal cover has always been separate, or at least it has been for me for the last 20 years.

If you don't have it and you have a no fault claim you will have to recover your excess yourself, and I'm pretty sure that won't be an easy task.

With regards to insurance, I'm amazed how much my renewal rose this year, from £275 to £490 with my current insurer, so I moved to Admiral Multi-car, and only paid £169, plus £20 for legal protection and £30 for guaranteed courtesy car if my car is written off...

  bumpkin 20:32 01 Apr 2013

Woodchip sums it up, waste of money. Any decent household insurance will cover that anyway so you are just paying twice.

  bumpkin 20:44 01 Apr 2013

If both your home insurance and you motor insurance cover this then you will have compounded the issue even though you have paid two premiums. They will both claim that it is the other insurers responsibility leaving you to deal with endless correspondence on their behalf and probably neither paying out.

  Graham* 01:23 03 Apr 2013

Just be careful how you park at night. Facing the wrong way, partly on the pavement, etc. If a car collides with your car under these circumstances, your insurer will not pay out for damage to your car, leaving you liable to damage to the other vehicle.

  wee eddie 09:06 03 Apr 2013

I don't know whether this will yet cover Car Insurance. However it has affected the Travel Trade.

Travel Insurance Companies, who are handling Client's Loss Claims, have been themselves been Claiming on the Client's Household Insurance Policy to cover their own losses. Thereby increasing the Premium required by the Household Insurance Company.

So, if you Household Policy Covers your Legal Expenses and you subsequently Claim against you Motor Policy's Legal Risk Cover, they may counter claim against your Household Policy. Even if those Policies are held with the same Company.

a Lose/Lose situation for you

  Ex plorer 08:52 05 Apr 2013

Never thought of house policy covering Legal Expenses.

I suppose you have to take into consideration how much it will bump up your house policy for the following years if you make a claim.

This year I shopped around and saved £170 on the car and am now considering letting the same firm quote for my house insurance next year, and also ask about Legal Expenses.

Its the first time I printed off my policy and of course its saved on the PC as well.

  spuds 18:54 05 Apr 2013

Ex plorer

Most household insurance with legal added on, should make no difference with 'bumping' up your policy excess, because the legal side is usually run by a separate and independent company.

The only thing that you have to consider, is what the legal company provides in their own terms and conditions.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best Black Friday Deals 2017

How modern book design was influenced by illustrated manuscripts

Best Black Friday Apple Deals 2017

Les meilleurs logiciels de montage vidéo gratuits (en 2017)